Annotating iBooks?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by shakeman0, Apr 23, 2010.

1. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

For literary purposes I tend to annotate books that I read. Is there a way to do this on the iPad? Apps? Built into iBooks? etc.?

2. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

3. Boblister macrumors 6502a

I am interested in that as well. It's strange but a google search shows a lot asking the same thing but no one seems to know the answer.

4. Timothy macrumors 6502

5. Boblister macrumors 6502a

Oh, thats a shame. I hope it appears in the next update. I would think a lot of people would want that. Would go hand in hand with the word lookup function.

6. kultschar macrumors 6502a

Maybe publishers have something stupid against annotating their texts????

I know some people also wanted copy and paste

7. vini-vidi-vici macrumors 6502

There's no reason for a publisher to prohibit annotation. None. it's the same as if you were to write in the margins - what are they going to release books with ink-resistant paper next? These are just personal notes.
    You can highlight text in different colors, so at least that's a start. These become bookmarks. Hopefully annotation will come soon. This would be especially helpful for researchers & students.

As for copy/paste, you can do this with free books. But not with books that have DRM protection. This, I can understand... Too bad, but understandable.

8. wyneken macrumors regular

Well, if you have the book in PDF format (or can convert it), I believe you can annotate it, either with typed text or scribbled notes, with the app TakeNotes (formerly called PadNotes). The interface isn't a thing of beauty but it seems to get the job done.

9. SaddleSC macrumors member

Use the Kindle App

The ability to highlight and annotate my books is one of the reasons I find myself using the Kindle eBook application more than the iBooks app. However I do find the landscaped orientation in iBooks much easier to read so they both have there advantages and disadvantages.