Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Any Apple Watch users… Are you experiencing that when an announced notification comes through in the AirPods, it only pushes to the phone and not the Apple Watch? Not sure if this is intended behavior but I don’t recall this with Announce Messages in the previous OS.

joey561

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Yep, noticed exactly this today and it’s fairly annoying. I can’t see any options or settings to control or adjust, so I presume it’s intended behaviour.

eds93

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2020
Hi all,

I'm having some problems with notifications on my Watch Series 8. It is paired with an iPhone X and all softwares are updated to latest versions.

When I have my AirPods paired to the iPhone and get some notifications ready by Siri, I'm not able to see these notifications on my watch and they are not either stored in the notifications center on the watch, but I can correctly see them on iPhone.

Is this expected? I tried to check the settings but I'm not able to find anything related to this scenario.

Thanks for any help!

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Hi all,

I'm having some problems with notifications on my Watch Series 8. It is paired with an iPhone X and all softwares are updated to latest versions.

When I have my AirPods paired to the iPhone and get some notifications ready by Siri, I'm not able to see these notifications on my watch and they are not either stored in the notifications center on the watch, but I can correctly see them on iPhone.

Is this expected? I tried to check the settings but I'm not able to find anything related to this scenario.

Thanks for any help!
Been seeing this exact behavior since the introduction of “Announce With Siri.” I was hoping this was bug that would get fixed eventually but it seems this is the intended behavior. It’s probably because the Siri speech IS the notification and once it’s read it to you, it assumes you’ve acknowledged it, the same way as if you read it in the Notification Center.

I like getting HomeKit notifications announced with Siri through the AirPods but then I lose the camera snapshots on the Watch because of this.

I was curious if it works the same with just the iPhone and AirPods (Not wearing the watch). In other words, if you have “Announce with Siri” enabled on the phone, while wearing AirPods, but no Watch, does the notification still show up in the phone’s Notification Center.

eds93

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2020
Thanks for the answer.
I was curious if it works the same with just the iPhone and AirPods (Not wearing the watch). In other words, if you have “Announce with Siri” enabled on the phone, while wearing AirPods, but no Watch, does the notification still show up in the phone’s Notification Center.
Yes, it does. The notifications announced by Siri on airpods always show up in the Notification Center on iPhone, either the watch is connected or not.

This is why this behaviour does not make sense to me. I was expecting to see the notification in the Notification Center on the watch too, like it is on iPhone. In this way I’m able to read them or answer directly from the watch in a second moment.

Don’t get why I’m able to see them only on iPhone.
Maybe it’s worth to send a feedback to Apple on this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Thanks for the answer.

Yes, it does. The notifications announced by Siri on airpods always show up in the Notification Center on iPhone, either the watch is connected or not.

This is why this behaviour does not make sense to me. I was expecting to see the notification in the Notification Center on the watch too, like it is on iPhone. In this way I’m able to read them or answer directly from the watch in a second moment.

Don’t get why I’m able to see them only on iPhone.
Maybe it’s worth to send a feedback to Apple on this.
Hmm, well I have no clue if this is a bug, intended behavior or a hardware/software limitation but I did send this feedback to Apple when I first noticed it, assuming it was a bug. Maybe it needs more exposure to get noticed. Wouldn’t hurt to send more feedback. I’ll do it again myself.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Guess: following the standard of either or but not both.

For normal notifications, if phone unlocked, alert chimes there. If phone locked, chimes on Watch. So in the case of Siri, guessing that since the phone is "chiming" via Siri, counts as handled on/by the phone.

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Guess: following the standard of either or but not both.

For normal notifications, if phone unlocked, alert chimes there. If phone locked, chimes on Watch. So in the case of Siri, guessing that since the phone is "chiming" via Siri, counts as handled on/by the phone.
Yeah that’s what I was guessing to be happening as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.