Announce Winzip for Mac OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kilowattradio, Nov 17, 2010.

1. kilowattradio macrumors regular

kilowattradio

I thought people would be interested in this ZIP tool for the Mac. I'm not associated with Winzip at all.

Have you been waiting for a better way to zip and unzip files on your Mac?
    Now the wait is over! WinZip Mac Edition is here!
    As the world leader in file compression technology with over 20 years of
    experience in the field, WinZip has developed a new, powerful tool
    designed specifically for the Mac. WinZip Mac Edition combines
    cutting-edge compression and strong AES encryption into a simple,
    Mac-friendly design. Now you can zip and encrypt files for swifter, safer
    sharing and significantly smaller storage?all with an easy-to-use Mac tool
    made just for you!

$29.95

http://www.winzip.com/mac/en/download_mac.htm
    :apple:

Attached Files:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Welcome to 1990 :cool:

Seriously, I don't know who would opt to buy winzip for OSX since there are better free options available. If you want to pay for a compression utility there's always stuffit deluxe ;)

3. timothevs macrumors 6502

timothevs

Or, simply the best utility out there. The Unarchiver. Regularly maintained, it is a Swiss army knife of unarchiving apps. Anything else seems just such a pain to deal with, on any platform. Best of all, it is free!! Not affiliated with it, btw.

4. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

5. Fuchal macrumors 68020

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

"MacZip" is already taken.

7. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Who the hell uses winzip any more :confused:

There's plenty of freeware alternatives on Windows that work just as well. Certainly don't need it on OS X

8. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Back in the day WinZip was one of the first things I'd load on a new PC....but the march of time has made it pretty much unnecessary....especially on a Mac.

9. iubhounds macrumors regular

iubhounds

alternative?

On my yahoo store I need winzip to upload bulk images into my site. What would you suggest I use if winzip is required?

Thanks

10. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Just highlight what you want to add, then go to File->Create Archive, voila a ZIP file. Just like Winzip, but free, and built into the system (and all other *nix systems).

TEG

11. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Right click on file(s) > Compress file(s). Zip is built into OS X.

12. iubhounds, Dec 3, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2010

iubhounds macrumors regular

iubhounds

thanks

Thanks for the fast replies. Still retraining my brain from converting from pc to imac.

Unless I am missing something, all of my photos are located in iPhoto and trying the two suggestions, those options do not show up when I try both.

13. Mitchelino macrumors 6502

That's what I use :)

14. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Well that's pointless. And it should be called MacZip.

EDIT: Or maybe it shouldn't be called MacZip now I've actually read the thread.

15. gorjan macrumors 6502

16. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

To me, WinZip was king of the hill for Windows Zip for a while; but they lost it due to mismanagement and lack of foresight. They came up, had a nice interface and product; but were charging $39.99 or something like that for their software. Most people, while needing it, didn't think it was worth that kind of money. And thus, competitors sprung up. Instead of innovating, coming up with better interfaces, better integration, or lowering the price; they held fast and firm to their UI and pricing structure. And thus, people flocked to the competitors, whom did innovate and grow.

One of the death kills was when Zip type functionality was added to Windows natively; now no one NEEDED WinZip. Again, instead of improving, growing, changing; they held fast to their, now old, product and pricing structure.

I had honestly thought they were totally dead, out of business, or just focused on a different market. But I guess not, they are still here; and now trying to enter into a market for the Mac that is already saturated? And saturated with good, cheap (or free) alternatives? Again, great management skills there.

Oh well, good luck, you're gonna need it!

17. ChrisCC2011 macrumors newbie

I've used some of the other compression utilities, and I still prefer WinZIP for its ability to compress and provide 256-bit AES encryption. You can also include a text "hint" file that is unencrypted. I appreciate that kind of capability and welcome the fact that it's now available for both the Apple and Microsoft platforms.

18. crypticlineage macrumors regular

In the *nix world, there are plenty of good, fast and FREE archivers. Why would anyone consider using Winzip. If it was free, that would be one thing. This is just plain stupid. I guess the winzip movement is brain dead.

19. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Hmmm...I guess /usr/bin/zip, /usr/bin/tar, and /usr/bin/gzip don't work anymore? :confused:

20. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

iArchiver does a great job for me...no need for this :)

21. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I don't get this love affair with 3rd party zip utils. The built-in tools work just fine.

22. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

... except when you need to send ZIP archives over to Windows users (something I do all the time). Windows gets confused by ZIP archives created with Mac OS X's built in compression utility. BetterZip makes creating archives that are 100% Windows-compatible a snap.

23. kasakka macrumors 68000

I didn't know Winzip even existed anymore. It has been surpassed by free software like 7-Zip on Windows long ago and on OSX Unarchiver does the trick for me.

I suppose it's sort of like how some people actually buy antivirus software like Norton and whatnot.

24. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

What problems? I do it all the time (Windows XP and WIndows 7). I haven't experienced any difficulties.

The only hiccup I've ever had is using tar to create tar.gz files, where the Mac tar command includes all those hidden ._ files (causing me problems with the file on AIX). But that can be disabled by exporting COPYFILE_DISABLE=true into the environment (i.e. in the .bash_profile).

25. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Which decompression program do you use on Windows 7? Windows XP doesn't give me any issues, but Windows 7 thinks that certain files are unreadable, have the wrong permissions, or have random NTFS attributes set that aren't. Creating a ZIP file with the Terminal or BetterZip avoids these problems.

Side note: I was getting these errors a LOT with Windows Vista. Hopefully Microsoft fixed the worst of the bugs in 7.