Announcement Event?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Kryptik.Kode, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Kryptik.Kode macrumors member

Kryptik.Kode

Good morning everyone,

I am a new to the MacRumor forums. I am a heavy iOS user with daily use of an iPhone and iPad. I am currently [patiently] waiting for the new iMac to be released to replace my 5 year old HP desktop PC. I used a MBP for work for about 6 months and it convinced me to make the switch to a Mac for home use. I have been reading these iMac forums very heavily for the past week or so and I am pretty excited about the potential [albeit rumors] of the new iMac.

My question is this, does Apple usually have an "event" to announce the new line of iMac and it's new feature list? An event similar to the iPhone and iPad events the have for the new releases?

Thanks in advance!

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Most likely, no. Unless there is a major redesign, it will be a silent update.

3. Kryptik.Kode thread starter macrumors member

Kryptik.Kode

So if I understand correctly, there normally is an event for the redesigns but not for year-to-year upgrades. OK. That makes perfect sense.

4. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

There is no "rule" on whether Apple will have an event or not. If you can wait then just keep your eye on this site and visit Apple's web site often. When new iMacs are released it will be broadly announced.

Remember this site is called Mac Rumors for a reason, rumors by definition are occasionally correct and more often not.

5. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

"Usually" As stated above, there isn't a formula for announcing Apple products, but a rule of thumb is that there will always be iPhone/iPad events, and MAJOR redesigns of macs.

6. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Oh how I miss Mac specific events. :eek:

7. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

I honestly can't think of the last one, can it be the introduction to "unibody"??

8. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

The last one was the Macbook Air redesign at the "Back to Mac" event back in October 2010 where they also demoed Lion. But it was relatively low key as the show was at Apple's campus site.

Still, that was well over a year ago. If either the Macbook Pros, iMac, or even the Mac Pro get redesigns this year, it would be a real treat to have another show dedicated to the Mac.

9. Newoh macrumors newbie

Newoh

After Tim Cook's whole "expect stuff" at the end of the iPad announcement a few days ago, i expect a redesign of the MBP, Mac Pro, and iMac to come this year most likely.

Mac Pro, obviously getting updated compenents or thrown out all together
    iMac obviously getting ivy bridge as well as IMO a thinner chassis.
    MBP most likely redesign

The iMac and Macbook Pro have kept their current designs for years and years now.

It's gonna have to give, and after tim cook's closing statement, i think it's most likely this year.

10. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Perfect example of why this is a rumors site.

11. Newoh macrumors newbie

Newoh

:d

12. Kid A macrumors regular

What?! :confused:
    iMacs were redesigned in October 2009, only two and a half years ago, when they went to 21.5 & 27" designs with all aluminum chasis and edge-to-edge glass. Technically that's not "years and years". If "years" plural can be taken to mean a minimum of 2 years, then "years and years" would mean "more than 4 years". :p

That being said, I could totally see a design tweak. Don't think it's needed though.