Announcement: Modified rules in the Buying Tips and Advice forum

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by annk, Sep 26, 2011.

1. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Pricing advice threads now permitted

The Buying Tips and Advice forum is used to ask for help with purchase decisions and to discuss retail prices and deals. Now it can be used for an additional purpose: to ask for pricing advice, if you use the new Price Advice thread prefix.

If you use the thread prefix you can ask for advice on setting a price to sell an item, ask what your items are worth, or ask how much to expect to pay for an item. Other users can post to let you know what they think.

This is not an invitation to treat the Buying Tips and Advice forum like the Marketplace forum. If you fail to use the Price Advice prefix or otherwise indicate that you are interested only in getting advice on the price or value of an item you want to buy or sell, not in buying or selling at MacRumors, then the moderators may post a reminder in your thread. If you see offers to buy/sell/trade in your thread, report the posts so the moderators can remove them and keep your thread open.

Using caution and common sense

Threads in the Buying Tips and Advice forum cannot offer items for sale or ask for items for purchase, by the thread-started or anyone else. Such threads can be posted only in the Marketplace forum (see Marketplace Rules).

We're giving users more leeway to ask each other about prices, but more responsibility to be cautious in avoiding bad deals with strangers.

The reason we've avoided price-advice threads in the past is to protect forum members from falling prey to users who pretend to be asking for price advice when they really want to make deals with other users, despite not being qualified to use the Marketplace forum. These types of deals have let to scams in the past, so we still plan to close or remove deal-making threads or posts that are outside the Marketplace forum. If you ask for price advice in the Buying Tips and Advice forum beware of users who post (or PM) an offer to sell you something or buy something from you. Report their posts so the moderators can remove them.

Questions?

There is a new sticky that we hope explains the ground rules, and the guides will be updated within a day or two. If you have specific questions about a particular thread or want to ask in advance about something you'd like to post, feel free to use the Contact form so we can give you a personal reply.

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Hmm. A fairly welcome rule.

Now those who don't have marketplace privileges can post an equivalent of a Feeler thread.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Pricing Advice != Feeler

It may be a fine line but there is a difference.

4. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Hence the equivalent. Not entirely the same, but still close enough. :p

5. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

You can get advice on what your equipment is worth/what you could sell it for, or what you should pay for something. But all offers to sell or buy still have to be in the Marketplace.

The two requirements are that you use the "Price advice" prefix, and you state that you aren't looking to buy/sell on MacRumors.

The point is that now people who aren't out to buy or sell here and don't have access to the Marketplace can get input from other members about what something is worth.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Hiya, annk. I appreciate the heads-up even though I don't think I'll ever use this particular feature or the Marketplace forum itself. :p

7. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Seems like you're asking for trouble here. Gotta think this is to prevent all these "what's my x worth" threads, but there's nothing to stop it from becoming a Private Message Marketplace.

I feel very comfortable in the Marketplace because of the usage restrictions. This Price Feeler tag is going to pull those barriers down for the most vunerable members of the community, the newbs. Just my 2 cents. I hope I'm wrong and that it does save you some mod work, but I see this coming back to bite you in the arse. Be careful and good luck.