Announcing Ascension

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by DigitalRoar, Jul 4, 2008.

1. DigitalRoar macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone,

I am the creative director at Digital Roar Studios and we have just announced our title Ascension for Mac, PC, iPhone and Wii. I wanted to start this thread as a way to dialog with the community and also to showcase our talented team. I would like to showcase our guys art in general. Also we are using the Unity game engine and developing on Mac (www.unity3d.com). Currently we have a featured video on www.gametrailers.com

(concept art preview)
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/235704.html

and several other examples on www.youtube.com

(in engine 3D art preview)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1YybcQXHgc
    (environment concept art and soundtrack preview)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-gfKpoLnNg

You can also check out our website at www.ascensionwar.com

As we finish more and more of the game we will showcase the new artwork here.

Thanks to everyone,

Zachariah Inks
    Creative Director Digital Roar Studios
    www.ascensionwar.com

2. JollyRogers macrumors regular

THanks for the heads up DigitalRoar, look fwd to following the progress and trying the game out. Do you plan on demo's or a beta test? I have iphone, macbook, and MacPro and a PC to beta on :D

3. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Unity's a great tool! Good luck with the project.

4. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

Digital, I've got some feedback on the game's website.
    I was looking at the info page on the factions, and I really think it's lacking.

For example:
    "Like the stone monuments of the ancient world, the Earth Empire ships are carved stone monuments..."
    What? So these ships are made out of rock?

Also, the story mentions that humanity has discovered certain "gifted individuals" that sound like they have some sort of psychic powers, and that this is one of the things that has caused a rift to develop between the Mars Colonies and the Earth Empire.
    Why don't any of these gifted individuals exist on mars?

It also sounds to me like the Mars Colonies would be no match for the entirety of Earth... especially when earth is the one with the psychic dudes.

I know that this game is FAR from a finished product, but I'm just trying to give you some feedback on the website.

I very much look forward to learning more about the game, and being able to pilot your own ship sounds great. There are very few modern games that focus on that.

5. DigitalRoar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys for checking us out and we will be sure to keep you up to date as things develop.

redsteven, you are exactly right in pointing out those holes. I really appreciate your honest critiques. These elements of the game story are addressed in our design document but due to trying to keep the website from being to wordy, we may have not been as clear as we should be. So I will take your comments into consideration and I will attempt to make the necessary changes so that these areas of the game story are more clear. I would encourage anyone and everyone to give us feedback like this as it is very positive criticism that will make our game and its supporting media such as the website, more accurate and complete. Thank you again redsteven for your honest appraisal of our site.

6. Fatum macrumors member

Fatum

Hello,

I roamed a bit the website of the game and like redsteven came across a few lines which made me smile or wonder.

Game Info / Game Overview

jack-of-all-fighting-trades medium fighter - In the "Ships" section you dropped the -fighting- part. Looks better, in my humble opinion.

the heavy weapons brute of the heavy fighter - This one made me smile.

and then turn the tables on your enemies by flying in reverse while raining a volley of fire down upon them - It might be my english skill, but I can not visualize this. Am I flying backward, away from the enemy?:confused:

Game Info / Battle Fronts

and establishes orders to its most distant colonies. - This one made me wonder. Order as in law and order, or orders in the sense of instructions?

Planet Mars: This is the main seat of power for the colonies of Mars. - One would assume so.

There is a spelling mistake: Game Info / Battle Fronts / Niflhel / witnesses liken it to the aurora borealis on planet Earth, Edit: Ok, no spelling error. I was glad that none of the british folks in the office knew the word eighter.

The last paragraph is in a larger font.

Some general questions:

Question to flight controls. When you say like an aircraft, can I assume that there will be no 0 gravity physics that will let your craft behave like sliding on watery ice? Like when I kill my engine, will I have a leftover of momentum?

Will I have an avatar and can choose what type of craft I board? Or will I be a ship of a certain type?

Can I modify and customize the ship?

Will there be a skill progression system?

And, ahh, will you need somebody for German and Dutch translations? :D

P.S.: I have to, it is to ironic not to: Your company website. "Unleash Your Inner beast." Do not force the beast to run around without a captital B! ;)

7. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

That's not a spelling mistake...look it up. :)

--Eric

8. Xavier macrumors 68020

Kinda looks like a revavmped freespace 2!

This looks great!

9. therevolution macrumors 6502

"Jack of all trades" is a well-known English figure of speech, meaning good all around but not specialized at any one task. The full expression is "Jack of all trades, master of none."

From a non-native English speaker's perspective, I can kind of see how "Jack-of-all-fighting-trades" might seem more correct in the literal sense. From a native English speaker's perspective, though, it looks strange.

10. Fatum macrumors member

Fatum

You got me wrong there. I am very much familiar with the expression "jack of all trades, master of none" What I tried to say was that the fighting part doesn't fit there.