Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
So I'm on a senior design engineering team this year. I happen to live in the same town as I go to school. Some members of my team are from out of state and they went home over break (started last week and ends late jan)

BECAUSE i have the curse of living in the same town, the group expects me to put considerable time in on the project. This pisses me off as I do not want to work on school work over break as it is break. I bust my butt during the semester and this summer and do not want to work on crap over break. I worked everyday on this project over thanksgiving break because of the same scenario. My group does not know of how i feel as i have to work with them next semester

How would you go about handeling this. I seriously would like to devote my time to picking up hrs on my job and relaxing with my family. Not work on a project over break.

Just a little frustrated so any advice would be welcome

or maybe im just immature. if so tell me but i dont think im out of line.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Rather than holding it all in and getting irate, why not just tell them that you also need a break? Don't ask, don't whine. Just calmly say "no, I'm going to enjoy Christmas then carry on the work afterwards."

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
How's it feel being used?
Better come to an understanding on who does what and for how long before it escalates. Can't agree? Quit, and take your toys with you.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Well, you've got two choices. If you value your grade highly enough, you'll just suck it up and pick up the slack. That happens all the time in the real world. I can't complain if someone working with or for me on a project doesn't pull their weight. Well, scratch that. I can complain, but it won't do any good. I'm ultimately responsible, and as such I have to ensure that stuff gets done even if I have to do it all myself. So if the job/grade/project, or whatever it is, is important enough to you, you step up and make it happen. You also make sure that TPTB know what happened.

Or you can just ignore them and not do the work over the break. When they complain, ask them how much work THEY put into the project over break. Your grade may suffer, but you will have made your point; and they will be unlikely to do the same thing in the future.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
yea thanks. i cant quit as its not a job but for school. its hard to tell people "i cant come in because i dont want to even though i could because i live here"

i dont want bad relations with my group members but yea im gonna say im not going to be all that accessible.

i mean every day this break i have gotten calls to come in ( we have one way over excited group member who has no life besides this project) and its only 5 days in. theres no way im letting that happen all break

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
Well, you've got two choices. If you value your grade highly enough, you'll just suck it up and pick up the slack. That happens all the time in the real world. I can't complain if someone working with or for me on a project doesn't pull their weight. Well, scratch that. I can complain, but it won't do any good. I'm ultimately responsible, and as such I have to ensure that stuff gets done even if I have to do it all myself. So if the job/grade/project, or whatever it is, is important enough to you, you step up and make it happen. You also make sure that TPTB know what happened.

Or you can just ignore them and not do the work over the break. When they complain, ask them how much work THEY put into the project over break. Your grade may suffer, but you will have made your point; and they will be unlikely to do the same thing in the future.

true but i have gotten my grade for this last semester and next semester doesnt start till late jan

so none of this counts toward my grade, im not paying for school now, and i could be making money with my time. there will be no problem with the project if we wait till next semester. (maybe instead of builfing 1 prototype, 1 practice and 2 competition planes we can build less). heck all the other senior design groups took the break off

what gets me is just the expectation to put in alot of work when some members (aka 5/8) will be in a different state doing nothing at all but relaxing at home

Aug 6, 2007
true but i have gotten my grade for this last semester and next semester doesnt start till late jan

so none of this counts toward my grade, im not paying for school now, and i could be making money with my time. there will be no problem with the project if we wait till next semester. heck all the other senior design groups took the break off

what gets me is just the expectation to put in alot of work when some members (aka 5/8) will be in a different state doing nothing at all but relaxing at home

If they're not doing anything; neither should you.

And if it doesn't count toward your grade, then what's the problem? Tell them to shove it. (more politely though)

You're completely in the right.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
lol yea. ive decided to not make a big deal of it and just have the attitude that whatever work gets done is a bonus over break and not have it be a "priority"

thanks for the replies

MultiM

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2006
TO. I've moved!
The only expectations you need to meet are your own. Work on the project as you see fit. You can't be responsible for what your team mates think.

Have a great Christmas!

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
lol yea. ive decided to not make a big deal of it and just have the attitude that whatever work gets done is a bonus over break and not have it be a "priority"

thanks for the replies
Well done. You are totally in the right here. Enjoy the break.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.