Annoyed with HDD and sleep

Denisoftus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
After being using my top spec iMAC with SDD and HDD, I'm really annoyed the way SL is handling sleeps and secondary drives, usb or internals.

It supposed to be a very quiet machine, but SL makes a second hard drive and any USB drives connected starting and stopping constantly with no reason. I can understand why it triggers all the drives after sleep, but I don't understand why it needs an access to an empty drive all the time during the day. I counted about 20 times it’s on and off.

Why do I bother? HDD drive makes a loud humming noise, which is beyond of my standards for quite machine. There is no workaround for that and I will accept it if I can turn off this drive when I do not need it.

Does anyone know how to fix it? Unmounting drives its not a clean option and I will have to mount it again shall I need it, and after sleep unmounted drive will spin forever.

Also after 3 weeks iMAC won't go to sleep anymore on idle. If I force it, it will, but not automatically, I read some post about it but found no answer. I removed all possible software may prevent it with no luck.

I've been a Windows user since Windows 3.11 release and recently moved to MACs, thought so far I'm more disappointed than happy with MAC OS. I hope LION will make me feel different and like it after all.

rj86

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2011
Assuming that you've checked the 'Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible' option in Energy Saver preferences?

If you want quiet external drives do a bit of research and don't buy crappy cheap ones.

chrono1081

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Assuming that you've checked the 'Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible' option in Energy Saver preferences?

If you want quiet external drives do a bit of research and don't buy crappy cheap ones.
This. Certain drives are way louder than others. Also make sure spotlight isn't indexing your externals.

Denisoftus

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011

I have checked this for certain.

Its not external drives I bother, but internal one. I can alway disconnect external drive for sure. But internal spins even unmounted.