Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 11, 2004
fig tree
some things that annoy me about itunes:

• the windows version's visualizer isn't opengl accelerated, meaning it kills my cpu, and all the gpu power i have goes to waste (im stuck on windows)
  • there's no way i can find to rate songs while the visualizer's on
  • i cant find a way to get sharing videos over the network to work, though songs do.
  • videos are kept in the music folder instead of their own, dedicated folder
    you cant set multiple videos as tv shows at the same time (as far as i can tell)
  • you can't deauthorize computers remotely, which means i can't deauthorize computers i've already formatted. what i'd like is a way, through your account management place, to deauthorize other computers, or the one you're currently on.
  • the itunes toolbar (windows feature) doesn't pop up a little message when the track changes, letting you know what the new one is (like windows media player)
  • you can't install quicktime without itunes :mad: which means my teachers won't let us use quicktime 7 on school computers because then we'd have to have itunes.
of course, despite all these things, it's definitely the best music player out there, in my opinion.

what annoys YOU about itunes?

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
homerjward said:
[*]you can't deauthorize computers remotely, which means i can't deauthorize computers i've already formatted. what i'd like is a way, through your account management place, to deauthorize other computers, or the one you're currently on.
[*]you can't install quicktime without itunes :mad: which means my teachers won't let us use quicktime 7 on school computers because then we'd have to have itunes.

Hopefully this information will make you feel better:

1. You can deauthorize all computers once you authorize the maximum allowed (5). Once you've authorized five computers, you can deauthorize all of them, and then just authorize the one(s) you use.

2. You can't? Since when?

EDIT I just checked the website and yeah, I guess you're right. Sorry, dude.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 11, 2004
fig tree
asherman13 said:
Hopefully this information will make you feel better:

1. You can deauthorize all computers once you authorize the maximum allowed (5). Once you've authorized five computers, you can deauthorize all of them, and then just authorize the one(s) you use.
thank you! i'll do that if/when i reach 5!
iMeowbot said:
whee! *puts on flash drive*

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
what annoys me about iTunes is how its seems to go out of its way to tell me my iPod update is complete. why can't it just drop it after the first time, instead of having the display default to that whenever anything changes. i mean, what do they think i'm going to do, sit there for 5 days waiting for my iPod to update because telling me five times wasn't enough? [/rant]

other then that one very small issue, i'm quite happy with iTunes :)

jkelly888

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2005
pluto
the only thing that annoys me about itunes is that it takes so long for it to recognize my ipod and it takes a long time to load. in other words, itunes is really slow and it annoys me. but it may just be my computer

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
plinkoman said:
what annoys me about iTunes is how its seems to go out of its way to tell me my iPod update is complete. why can't it just drop it after the first time, instead of having the display default to that whenever anything changes.

Yes, very much agreed! This is extremely annoying when playing tracks or importing new songs. Any time something changes, it goes to the stupid 'iPod Update is Complete' screen instead of playback progress or import progress. Both of those are far more interesting the vast majority of the time, and should always have priority over an old iPod message that hasn't changed recently.

If you have the time, why not file a bug report so it gets the attention of the iTunes developers (see link in my sig). If enough people do, maybe they'll decide to actually fix it! Not that I'm holding my breath... they seem to care more about cramming more features in than fixing known problems... :(

jer2eydevil88

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2004
USA
I would love Apple to release a Windows XP x64 version for us people using the x64 XP Pro or Server 2003 x64.

I know I know its not a lot of us yet we make up the High End PC users and we spend more money on acceessories (I.E. iPods). iTunes works as is but the Toolbar down on the start bar is gone and from time to time it gets buggy and just eats up CPU/RAM for no reason.

To build this in XP x64 I would bet they have nothing more to do than compile it on any x64 machine. At least it makes sense to me that the G5 machines run a 64-bit version so any libraries the code relies on would be all set to run on XP x64.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
jkelly888 said:
the only thing that annoys me about itunes is that it takes so long for it to recognize my ipod and it takes a long time to load. in other words, itunes is really slow and it annoys me. but it may just be my computer

The reason for the iPod load time is that upon connecting your iPod, it is exchanging information on it with the iTunes database file. It isnt just reading whats on the iPod, like a normal external drive. It needs to do this comparison for syncing purposes before it shows up graphically in iTunes.

jkelly888

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2005
pluto
Project said:
The reason for the iPod load time is that upon connecting your iPod, it is exchanging information on it with the iTunes database file. It isnt just reading whats on the iPod, like a normal external drive. It needs to do this comparison for syncing purposes before it shows up graphically in iTunes.
ok. i understand that now but the things that gets me the most is when loading itunes for the first time after starting my comp and when its minimized when i'm showing it on screen again. it takes a while.

NicP

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
My biggest problem is obviously lack of real gapless playback in itunes (crossfading to 0 isnt nearly good enough)

Video handling is also awful.
You cant import .avi files even if quicktime plays them fine, in order to make it work you have to save a quicktime link and then import that.
I dont know why theres a Library and a Videos, to me it seams obvious there should be an Audio and a Video section instead.
You cant change change/add tags for the episode/season number or anything like that for files, and in order to change between movie/music video/tv show you can only select 1 file at a time.

I would also like the see the radio and podcasts sections improved. The radio section needs a complete overhaul, favorite stations, the ability to add your own stations in there. The podcast section could do with an option to NOT add podcasts to the library/videos sections and also the option to automatically download new episodes per podcast (so u can have it automatic for some podcasts but not others).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.