Annoyed with new MBP USB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FaustArp, Feb 18, 2009.

1. FaustArp macrumors regular

FaustArp

Anyone else notice how close the USB ports are on the new MBP 15"? I went to plug in 2 external drives to my comp and noticed they wont fit. I could easily do this on my previous MBP.:mad:

2. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

That hasn't seemed to be a problem before. Can you post some pics of the USB cords you're trying to plug in?

3. Makaveli6103 macrumors 6502

I picked up a 7 port usb hub from newegg, but also have the same problem with flash drives.

4. xoggyux macrumors 6502

What seams quite surprising to me, is that apple did not pay attention to that since they are very meticulous when it comes to little details. Even in their previous version (where they positioned one USB at each side) they located one of them just aside the magsafe cord, which made it impossible for some more bulky usb devices not to fit in that port.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Apple just goes dumb when it comes to ports.

They've always been close together, so Mac users have gotten accustomed to this. However, I didn't know that the USB ports are even closer together on the new design. I wonder why? :confused:

Perhaps everyone who works at Apple use MacBook Airs, where port layout is not an issue.

6. n8236 macrumors 65816

I've noticed the ports are closer, but it has not presented to be a problem. Not yet anyways.

7. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

It's also a snug fit on the new MB's as well. Before I could use two Verbatim thumb drives next to each other on an iBook but not anymore. It really is a pain in the @ss! You would think they would test a few brands for the width of a thumb drive plugged in at the same time but I can think of another way it was tested. Apple must have used their usb cables to test with which are slim compared to most thumb drives out today :confused:

8. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

I usually don't find it to be much of a problem. I typically use a USB extension cord with/without a hub, so there is still enough room for another reasonably sized device in the other port.

9. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

this is a problem for me on the old macbook pro too with the usb on the right side, it's so close to the firewire port if I have my firewire drive or camcorder connected I can't plug 3 of my 4 usb sticks into it because of the width.

10. HarleyMan macrumors member

HarleyMan

The only thing I cant get side by side in the usb ports is my usb wireless card. It is wider than the usb plug and caused the same problem on my old Powerbook G4. I use an extension cord with the wireless, and a usb hub on a wire in the other one and they both coexist next to each other in the usb ports.

11. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

There were't two USB ports next to each other on the previous MBP?

12. stealthninja macrumors member

stealthninja

no they were on opposite sides of the machine (one on the right, one on the left)

13. M.a.r.k. macrumors member

heheh you're right, i just checked that :D

14. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

That was one of the deal killers for me buying the 15", only two USB ports. I pretty regularly use three. I was pleased to see that on the 17" there is three, hopefully there not too close together.:(

15. lordthistle macrumors 6502

They are very very close. But what is supremely annoying is that only one usb port is powered. You can choose any of them, but only one.

16. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

It is a bit of a PITA...i can't plug in my iphone and external WD drive at the same time...

-J.-

17. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

Wow, really?

Thats some new information to these eyes...