Annoyed

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Wayne s, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Wayne s macrumors regular

Hi all, I have just got my first Mac. A nice new iMac. Its taking some getting used to after using Windows for so many years but I think I made the right choice.

That was until I found out about the new version of OSX due out this month.
    I got the Mac last week and if I had done some research before hand I would have waited until the new OSX was being shipped with new MAC,s.

Will Apple offer a upgrade at a reduced price? After spending £950 on a new machine I dont want the expense of shelling out £XXX on the new OSX and feel a bit cheated.

Wayne.

2. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Unfortunately, No. however, you MIGHT get a positive response by emailing sjobs@apple.com and telling them about it, you never know. If this doesnt work, theres always eBay I guess.

3. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Are you able to return it without a penalty? If so then you could get a refund and then wait until Leopard ships to buy a new one.

4. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

everytime that a new version of OS X is released, computers bought in a month or two are elegible to a free copy.

5. Wayne s thread starter macrumors regular

I don,t think the shop would go for that.

6. Wayne s thread starter macrumors regular

I hope that is the case.

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It's only for people who buy machines after the release date is officially announced but before the release date itself, and it's usually about $10. Since the official release date has not been released, the OP will not be included in the program. An appeal to a sympathetic customer service rep is about his only course of action.

8. Wayne s thread starter macrumors regular

The worst part is that I got the iMac as a early birthday present to myself, my birthday is on the 25th and the new OSX is released on the 26th.

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

That has not been the case, before the shipping announcement it has been a case by case basis.

Only once has Apple shipped out an OS upgrade free to purchasers of a machine, and I think that was the PowerMac G5 which needed the new OS to function properly.

Those eligible are purchasers for 90 days AFTER the announcement, to cover floor stock without the new OS.

And since Apple's warehouse levels are amongst the lowest in the industry, it is doutbful there are massive floor stock/warehouse levels these days.

10. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

It's a shame you're annoyed, but being honest, there's probably a wee lesson in there about research before you buy big ticket items.

I bought a computer just before Tiger was released - I got nothing (but then again I didn't try). My computer was no worse than it was before Tiger was released, and neither is yours. That is something worth remembering.

On the cheap upgrade, I'd guess you're stuffed, but give the customer service a lash - you'd never know.

11. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Whiner

Oh who cares. People bitch about this every goddamn OS release. Suck it up.

12. Wayne s thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for you input on this, but I care.

If you feel you can not offer any real useful advice and do not care, why waste your time and mine by posting worthless tripe.

13. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

To be honest, I'm surprised that as a Windows user up until now that it seems you did no research before jumping to a Mac.

I say that you did no research because even with the slightest bit of research, you'd have learned that there was a new OS due out soon. Then, having learned that you would have found out when.

So, sorry but I agree with the earlier poster that says you should suck it up.

Cheers.

14. Wayne s thread starter macrumors regular

I researched as far as looking into the iMac, going to a shop and trying it out, asking the sales guy questions about it, I did not ask about a forth coming new OSX, nor did he say to me that there was one soon.

Maybe he did not know, or did not care and just wanted to sell me a Mac and get his commission on the sale.

I do feel that Apple should have released the the new iMac and OSX together.

Having said that I love the new Mac had can never see myself going back to Windows full time, but, I thought I was getting a all new machine but in a couple of weeks it will be superceded by a machine with a new os.

Maybe it will not matter, maybe it will, but at the end of the day it,s my hard earned cash.

Wayne.

15. Not-a-cliche macrumors regular

HAHAHAHAHAHA...ahaha...

Ahh yes, sjobs@apple.com

Of course emailing that all famous email address will get a response, I mean, I'm sure nobody has ever emailed him about this before.

No...No, that's not true at all...

It's only £89.

People who work at Apple Stores don't get commission. That's what rocks about them.

16. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You do have a new machine. The OS will be upgraded but your iMac will run it perfectly well so it's not exactly going to become obsolete. A new OS is usually about £80 - unless you're a student when you can pick it up more cheaply.

It's not necessarily a bad thing to have an iMac with Tiger pre-installed. It's a very stable OS having been out for a couple of years. While Leopard will offer new features, it might not be as stable once it ends up in the wild on more machines and until there's an update or two (a couple of months post-release).

You've got two options... either keep your iMac and buy the upgrade to Leopard (immediately or once a few early adopters buy new Macs and sell their previous edition) or return your iMac (if it was only a week ago) and wait for Leopard to be announced.

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Typically the New OS only works on the machines released before the OS, since the machines made after the OS will all have an OS newer than the retail OS Box.

Plus, the new OS has been out in the news for a year, and people are complaining about Apple not upgrading their machines enough.

Waiting a complete year or more for the new OS would be a little silly.

---

Anyhow, the salesman are trained to sell floor stock, if the customer leaves -- so does their sale.

18. Wayne s thread starter macrumors regular

Got it from an approved reseller not a Apple store.

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

look at it this way you get a super stable os while leopard will be needing updates most likely

20. seanacy macrumors newbie

As far as I know, there is a grace period of two weeks where you can return your mac and get a full refund, no questions asked (that is of course, unless you've damaged it or something)

A guy in an Apple Store actually told me that I could get an Imac 2 weeks before Leopard comes out, and when it comes out I can send my Imac back and get a new one with the new OS.

This is a bit useless because we don't yet know when it's gonna come out, but anyways

I guess your best option is to return your mac, get a refund, buy it again when new OS comes out

21. Wayne s thread starter macrumors regular

You are are 11% right, apart from a few problems the first day the Mac has been by far the best desktop I have had to date.

Had it for a week and feel like I have been using it far longer.

When I use my old laptop running XP it feels so wrong.

But I still can not forget the fact that I could have waited and had the new OS at no extra cost.

£89 may not be a lot for some but it is to me, I know I am making a mountain out of a mole hill but that,s my nature.

22. Wayne s thread starter macrumors regular

Trouble is I don,t want to send it back. I have all my music, video,s and pic,s on it and it is running so smooth. Read about lots of iMac user,s having problems with the new iMac freezing, mine was doing that on the first day but now it just works.

23. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

Look, you've got a superb machine running the best OS out there. Don't worry that about missing 10.5. I ran OS 10.3 for a year into 10.4 and never had a regret. The truth is that version 10.5.0 is likely to turn up a few bugs that the Dev team didn't realize. In Nov and December I'm sure the board will be full of complaining. Learn the OS, love the hardware, and then next spring or sometime get the update. It's only $129 US which will be like £30 by that point.

Congrats on the new machine, I can't wait to get one when Leopard comes out :D

24. Wayne s thread starter macrumors regular

I like your sense of humour.;)

25. MacHipster macrumors 6502