Annoying ACD 30" issue

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by SimonMW, Feb 4, 2009.

1. SimonMW macrumors 6502

Has anyone ever come across this weird shading before? I've only just noticed it on my display, and while it is not noticeable when loads of windows are open or when there is a complex photo, it does show up when the background is plain like this.

it doesn't appear to be a backlight problem, and I cannot see that it would be a pixel problem.

Attached Files:

2. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Are you talking about, what looks to be, fat vertical bars on the screen?

3. SimonMW thread starter macrumors 6502

Look at the weird slightly darker shading on the left hand side of the screen.

Attached Files:

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Hmmm... Can't see it hugely clearly on my dithered remote screen, but it does seem to be a backlight consistency issue that I've come across quite often on ACD's. The inconsistency is pretty clear as some monitors are very good and what we expect in comparison to the likes of Dell: Others (many, to be honest) have been clearly to marginally not how I expect them to be.

Whether you will be able to get it replaced is a degree of how severe Applecare rates it to be. Once again, I'm not actually looking directly at this website but through a sort of intermediary which reduces the number of colours and dithers them to send it across the tubes quicker, but from what I can see of your posted picture I've had monitors worse-to-similar to that replaced (in some cases multiple times until I got one that actually was better), but others I'm still not happy with have come back as 'within nominal'.

Most of my monitors are in multimonitor configurations and I have to say that in my experience Dells - which should in theory be comparatively the acceptable face of general-purpose mediocrity as far as monitors are concerned - have more consistent panels / backlighting regardless of the neverending 'Apple is better' spewed here. Either that or many of my ACD's have fallen off the back of a truck.

Describe it as carefully as possible, and they should at least have a look at it. If you do get it replaced - as far as I know, none of the ACD's I sent away were repaired, but rather replaced with refurbs - examine it carefully when you get it, and check it out thoroughly. I've had some nightmare replacements.

5. SimonMW thread starter macrumors 6502

I've just discovered something *really* odd! Just now I restarted the computer and as it was closing down I noticed a red 'stain' on the right hand side of the screen. It was where one of the icons on the right side of the screen is kept (you can just about see it in the photo, fourth icon from the bottom).

This icon is red in colour. When the computer had booted back up I took a look at the 'stain' and it it corresponded almost exactly to the shape of part of the shading on the icon!

I have only had this icon there for a few days. I always switch on the energy saver to make the screen go blank when I don't use the computer for around 10 minutes.

I have moved the icon to a different area to see if the same thing happens.