Annoying Apple OS idiosyncrasies

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mikebike125, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Mikebike125 macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

I love my Apple but I just have to wonder Why Apple has a few things built in where Microsoft Windows is actually better. These aren't big items just ones that are annoying. Since I use a Windows machine at work, I notice these every day. For example;

1. Why can I only stretch a window by the bottom right hand corner of that window and not by any edge or corner? I can do that in all versions of Windows but MacOS makes me use ONLY the bottom right corner. Why?

2. Why when typing does the "End" key not work? If I am in MS Windows, I can hit the End key and get to the end of a typed line. With MacOS I need to hit the Apple or Control key (don't remember which one) and then the right arrow key. It is frustrating that what I can do in Windows with one step (key) it takes me two in MacOS.

3. Why when I copy a web link and place it in Apple Mail do I have to select "insert URL" to paste a link, when in Windows I can simply paste the text and Windows recognizes that it is a link, makes it blue and underlines it. If I paste that same text in Apple mail, it treats it as simple text.. Why is this?

I am sure there are more things, but these are the three that I run into every day that Apple should do a better job with. It is seemingly simple so I don't know why Apple fails in these three places.

2. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

Not so much of an apple failure as it is your failure. You're just not used to it. I wasn't used to it at first either. Eventually you'll become proficient at switching between operating systems.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's not that Windows does something "better", it does something "differently." Saying something is "better" is entirely subjective, and honestly you just sound whiney.

Because that's how OS X works.

Because that's how OS X works.

When you send it it will show as a clickable hyperlink, depending on the settings in the destination's mail client. Almost all modern mail clients recognize hyperlinks nowadays.

4. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

these seem hardly make or break ideas. You could make a similar (longer) list about windows

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Because they are different operating systems....

6. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Because that's why. I rarely do a lot of window resizing personally so this is a non-issue for me personally. Just get used to it.
    And why does the "Print Screen" key in Windows not actually send a screen shot to the printer, but to the clipboard? Because that's just how it works. Hitting Command+Right Arrow works just as well as soon as you program yourself to use it.
    Pasting links into emails works just fine. You are correct that it looks like "simple text" in the message window, however the recipient does receive a clickable link. Check your "Sent Items" if you don't believe me.

The sooner you stop trying to equate Mac OS functionality with Windows and just learn how things work, the better off you'll be.

7. dyn macrumors 68030

It seems a bit awkward but I've seen it save a lot of hassle and aggravation because you don't accidentally resize the window when all you wanted to do was use the scrollbar or click something. I think this is just about personal preference, there is no "right" way of doing it.

Because there is more logic in having a different way of going to the bottom of a screen and the end of a line, which is why end in OS X is going to the bottom of a screen and cmd -> or ctrl-e (the unix way of doing it) is going to the end of a line.

Windows and Linux use the end key to go to the bottom of a screen and the end of a line which is confusing: are you going to the bottom of a screen or the end of a line when pressing the end key?

In this case it's Windows and Linux that fail from a user perspective because their way of doing it causes confusion to what a certain key does.

I think you're using html mail in Windows and plain text in OS X. On the other hand, Mail considers other mailclients to be smart enough to recognize url's by itself. Most mailclients do so, so there is no need to turn it into a blue underlined piece of text.

8. Mikebike125 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

Whoa, no make or break anything. We all know Windows has a much longer list, that's why we are here. I have Two macs and will never buy a Windows system again because I like my Macs so much. You guys (not all) get so defensive so quick! What I listed are some things that I see that it would be nice if the MacOS did. I see these as something that would make the Mac better. You can't tell me that hitting two keys to move to the end of a line is better than hitting one key (the End key). One key is most definitely faster and even typing this I have used that key. It is just handy and it is already there on our keyboards. You also will probably agree that being able to re-size a window from any corner or side isn't something that would hurt, it's something that is useful if any. As far as the link thing, I didn't know that once it was sent it would show up as a link to the recipient.

I don't intend on moving away from my Apple systems, I think these simple things will make an already great OS even better.

dyn Thanks for your response. I am just going to the end of the typed line I am on.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What is an "end" key anyway, I don't see one on my keyboard (USA). :confused:

10. Mikebike125 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

12. Tiki35 macrumors 6502

Rather than copying and pasting a link to a webpage when sending an email, I just go File/Mail Link to This Page in Safari and a new email message is created with the link already underlined in blue.

13. Mikebike125 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

Good idea.

14. dyn macrumors 68030

Try Fn in combination with the arrow keys. Fn -> is the same as the end key.
    When you're using the small wired or wireless keyboard you'll have to use 2 keys for end of the page and for end of the line. It's a lot easier to have just 1 key to press but that wouldn't fit due to the small size. I'm used to it because I use the UNIX key combinations a lot, they work in the GUI and in the terminal (I don't have to remember 2 different ways of doing it).

15. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Because very rarely is it necessary. In 99% of the cases if the lower right is off the screen, just press the green "+" key and it will re-adjust to the screen size. If that doesn't work (iTunes), hold down the option key.

Because Windows machines have two END keys. The first one is on the num pad (the '1') and the other is right Arrow. BUT some keyboards have a dedicated set of keys. The keyboard layout is set by the manufacturer not the OS. Apple is much more consistent because they control the hardware and software. But not ALL PC's have an end key, not all PC laptops have a numpad either.

Either you're composing in text mode and not HTML mode, or you're not realizing that it will still be be received correctly. Don't worry about it, it isn't necessary.

I don't know if I would see these things as improvements, they are just different, that's all.

16. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

While we are on this subject... Does anyone know why Mac systems don't have a delete key - if you want to get rid of anything you have to use the backspace key, but in my user experience it would be useful sometimes to be able to delete (in the other direction) - or is there a way of doing this that I'm not aware of?

17. Tiki35 macrumors 6502

My Macbook Pro has a Delete key, but to delete forward, you hold down the fn key and then press Delete.

18. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

Thanks for this... Good to learn something new every day! :)

19. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

#1 - Is a UI design choice, but if you want to resize your windows efficiently there’s a program called “SizeUp” and to turn the zoom button into a maximize button, there’s “Right Zoom."

#2 - Is just weird. I’m not sure why Home and End aren’t implemented consistently across the entire operating system either. In some applications, they actual work as you would expect them to. In other applications, they either don’t work at all (like Apple’s Mail, Pages, etc) or move to the bottom/top of the document.

There’s a program called KeyFixer that fixes the problem in most applications. You can also use third-party keyboard mapping tools.

#3 - Apple Mail and other Apple applications use Rich text by default. So, while it doesn’t underline the URL to prevent you from accidentally clicking on it while you’re composing your message or document, it will show up as a clickable link to the other person.

20. Mikebike125 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

There's an idea. Can the Mac keyboard be remapped with the OS or must I use aftermarket software to do that? Remapping that key would be really nice.

21. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

My MBA only has a 'delete' key, but my iMac's full-sized keyboard has both 'delete' and a 'backspace' keys.