Annoying bugs in Lion, part 1..

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ltning, Jul 17, 2011.

1. ltning macrumors newbie

Hi all,

thought I'd share some of my thoughts around Lion:

Lion is terribly buggy. At least the so-called GM seed.
    - The loginwindow process crashes from time to time, forcing me to re-login and re-opening all my apps.
    - Oh and don't give me that crap about saved app states - that works for half of the apps, and is quite often annoying: When I've read a PDF in Preview I usually apple-Q it - next time I open a different PDF, Preview pops up with that OLD PDF PLUS the new one .. I understand why it happens, but good usability it is not... Not to mention how meaningless it is for Terminal (which I use mostly for SSH sessions).
    - Graphics glitches pop up everywhere. Sleep/wake very often results in QuartzGL (or whatever it's called today) being disabled for some/all apps, causing graphics to be slow and flickery
    - Even if above does not happen, the spotlight window will flash madly when I type in it - usually this will start happening relatively soon after logging in. Not sure what triggers it, but it's ugly.
    - The way spaces are handled now is ridiculous. When I change to another desktop, the one that slides in is empty (no desktop icons), and apps that should be "sticky" across desktops are gone - until the animation is finished. Then the apps flash back into existence, along with desktop icons. And after that's done, the Z-order is restored - sometimes. Problem is - in the meantime I might have started typing or clicking, and then the Z-order restore messes everything up - visual focus and input focus no longer match.
    - OS keyboard shortcuts can stop working for no reason. Right now the only way to switch apps (while writing this!) is using "Witch" from the AppStore - as Apple-TAB no longer works. Or Apple-Space. Or anything, really.

And that's just some of the issues I'm having.. This is by FAR the LEAST polished BETA I've seen from Apple since pre 10.1...

/Ltning

2. mrapplegate, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2011

mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Lots of bugs it would seem for you. There is a preference for saving the state of apps on re-launch. What hardware are you running the GM on?

3. mende1 macrumors member

In my 21'5-inch iMac (Late 2009), I can't reproduce your bugs. What Mac do you use ;)?

4. Cougarcat macrumors 604

First, apps must be updates for saved states. Second, you can disable resume entirely in General. You can also disable it for the next session only by doing option quit. I agree that it should be smart enough not to load your recent documents if you're already opening one in the finder.

Haven't experienced any of your other issues, but I do agree that the GM is pretty buggy.

5. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Why not report to Apple

As a developer for Apple and as an approved beta tester, you failed to mention if you reported these to Apple. Posting here will only get our attention not Apple's. It might be of interest to know what hardware you are running the GM on then some of your readers might be able to offer meaningful assistance.

I get you are frustrated.

I have on of those issues on my first gen AL iMac ...

6. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

7. ltning thread starter macrumors newbie

To others; yes I'm aware I can disable the state-saving. However I am trying to get used to it, as it's touted one of the major features of Lion. Either it's me who can't grok it, or it's really not working right. Has Steve been away too much lately, and are there really no other nit-picking perfectionists in QA?

As for hardware, I'm using Lion on two machines currently; a 11 and a 13-inch MBA - current generation. Both with 4GB RAM.

I've read elsewhere the GPU can play a role regarding the graphics glitches here, or rather the drivers. I would expect that the NVIDIA 320M in these machines should be more than up to the task.

Funny thing is that on this machine (the 13"), I did an upgrade from SL to Lion GM. On the 11" I did a scratch+reinstall for each DP of Lion. It's got very few apps installed, and nothing funny like VMWare/Parallels/VBox, VPN Tracker or other kernel-module-loading stuff. I see pretty much all the same issues on both installations!

Another thing is of course 3rd party apps. One example is MS Word (only tested on the 13"): It seems to get very confused about where to put the cursor and where to put the text I type in. Half of the time there will be no correlation between the two. It happens in some documents, not in others - and I've verified with a colleague that the same version of Word on his SL installation does not exhibit these issues with the same documents.

Oh by the way, earlier today this machine started refusing to start half of my apps - and when trying to hit the terminal as root (sudo), it told me my UID doesn't exist :) CPU load skyrocketed and a look at the Console logs showed me that some loin-related process was crashing and re-spawning a few dozen times per second. This happened while waking from sleep.

Oh and yes, I've reported a handful of bugs - but not all of these as I haven't been able to come up with good enough reproduction scenarios for all of them yet.

So yea, slightly frustrated, but also calmed by the fact that there hasn't been a release yet - so I'm hoping they give us another GM or that the release is at least not this GM..

/ltning

8. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

Anyone find the switch to turn this app state saving off yet? I find it quite frustrating to have to untick that setting at every shutdown....

9. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Preferences -> General
    restore Windows when quitting.....

The above only applies to saving the state of apps, not the check mark on shutdown.

Shutdown will still have to be unchecked. or at the vary least will remember if you checked it the last time on next re-boot, I have not checked that aspect.

Attached Files:

10. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Nope. The toggle won't stick. Must do it every time.

11. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

That is strange and inconvenient. Oh well. Bug or just a feature :D ?

12. basher macrumors 6502

basher

Are you letting Apple know of your experiences with Lion via their developer program?

From what I've seen in other threads most that are having trouble with Lion are using pirated copies.

13. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

Well mine isn't pirated but i doubt my trouble with the non sticking option for restoring windows upon restart would be a pirateb*y only "feature".

14. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Here's how I see it...

Some of the bugs are so blatant that I'm 1000% sure the legitimate developers here have passed them along. And for some reason Apple chose to ignore them. It's that time vs. money thing. After all... there's only so much a single OSX coder can do while he works on iOS projects. :D

Ok, I'm being a little harsh. Lion actually has a much larger feature set then SL ever did. Not sure if I like 'em all but it is what it is...

What we have now are bugs and quirks slated for 10.7.1 or even possibly reserved for 10.7.2.

15. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

This is the main reason I'm not upgrading production systems to Lion until a couple point releases have come out. Snow Leopard is so incredibly solid and bulletproof on both of my Macs right now that it just seems prudent to wait for the most obvious issues in Lion to be banged out.

Not that I won't play with it in test partitions, though. It's really not a matter of if I'll upgrade, just when. Once an OS release is de-supported by Apple, it falls behind quickly in the world, and newer apps stop working well on it.

16. Jerome Morrow macrumors 6502a

Jerome Morrow

Maybe it's possible to uncheck by editing the .nib in the loginwindow? I haven't tried though because i have to download Xcode 4 for that.

Anyone cares to try? If it works you ould upload the nib somewhere.

17. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Hey. Excellent idea. I too will need to re-download xcode though to try.

18. Jerome Morrow macrumors 6502a

Jerome Morrow

No dice. Don't bother. I already tried.

19. tory237 macrumors newbie

For those who want app resume but don't want it most of the time, you can have the option disabled (system preferences>general) and when you want to keep the windows press option+command+q.