Annoying camera effect

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DopestGingah, Oct 24, 2007.

1. DopestGingah macrumors regular

Whenever I take a picture with my iPhone, there is a sort of pink spot/rainbow effect on every picture. Does anybody else have this?
    Here are some examples. The first one is just picture of my wall, straight from my iPhone. The second is a picture of my door.
    Do you think this is a justified "manufacturer defect", so I could get a new one?

Attached Files:

2. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Yeah you could probably get that replaced. I dont think youd have to put up an argument for that.

3. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Perhaps you are a lucky leprechaun, and the rainbow follows you and your pot of gold wherever you go with your iPhone?

4. DopestGingah thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah that's what I thought. Do you think I should show them those pictures in case it doesn't do that in the store (knowing my luck it would take perfect pictures)?

lol I never thought about that. I am an Irish ginger (red hair, freckles), so yeah probly so.

5. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Are there CFL/Fluorescent lights around? They will give that green tinge, and could cause the color deformation that you see.

Take it outside and use a white piece of paper and see if you get the same thing.

Ed

6. DopestGingah thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah those first two were inside with lights on. Here is one I took it outside and it is not nearly as bad, but I do not take pictures outside 100% of the time and I would like the ones taken inside not to have this effect.

Attached Files:

7. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

The green tinge is from CFL bulbs, you can't get away from that. The pink on the other hand I have no clue about, seems like a defect. Be sure to show them the photos/ keep them in your camera roll for them to see.

8. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

GREAT!

Even Better!!

HA..... :D

9. xolan99 macrumors regular

I have the same problem too. I called AppleCare and the guy on the phone said that Apple doesn't recommend taking pictures indoors.

I want to take it back to the store badly (I've had the phone for over a month now) but I'm worried that taking pictures indoor of white walls isn't going to convince them since if you take photos of items outside in daylight or in ample light, you don't see the pink hue.

Has anyone had success in returning their phones for this issue?

10. DopestGingah thread starter macrumors regular

It doesn't matter if they say they don't recommend it. You can't take pictures outdoors 100% of the time. It should work indoors fine. The fact is that it is a manufacturer defect and it should be returned/swapped.

11. xolan99 macrumors regular

Were you able to return yours? I'd be interested in your results.

12. mrJnC macrumors regular

I didn't. I tried to make my case but when they compared my iPhone to the others the employees were using, all of them exhibited that behavior to different degrees. And at the time they convinced me that there wasn't a guarantee that a replacement would be any different.

Here's my white wall pic.

Attached Files:

13. xolan99 macrumors regular

When you say they convinced you nothing was wrong, had you stuck with your desire to get a replacement, would they have given you one?

14. mrJnC macrumors regular

I think they would if I kept pressing for another 15 minutes, but they seemed somewhat reluctant to pursue the replacement path from the start.

I think the initial run of iPhones had a lot of variation with the cameras. Mine was bought on opening day. I'm curious if this color balance issue is present on the newer phones.

And FWIW, it's not just white walls. It's anything that is consistently white. Like a whiteboard, a business card, a photo of a receipt, etc. Seems worse with interior lighting.

15. DopestGingah thread starter macrumors regular

I haven't tried. I will go to the Apple Store tomorrow though and make them give me a new one. All of my friends who have iPhones do not have this pink/rainbow effect. It is a defect. Not all iPhones have it "to a degree". And if they say that there is no guarantee that it will be different, then I will keep returning them until I get a good one!

16. xolan99 macrumors regular

Let us know how it goes.

17. njfuzzy macrumors member

Design Issue

I am pretty sure this is just the nature of the camera that was used, and how it works under low-light (or, more likely, certain kinds of artificial light) conditions.

I am in an office with flourescent lighting, and any photo of a white surface shows the same color effect here too. I don't think this is a flaw, I think it's just how weird light interacts with slow digital sensors.

18. mackk macrumors member

When I take pictures, I notice a similar effect. It's only certain times though. I took a pucture of my hair just now, and a strip looks pink! Taken in horrible bathroom lighting.
    I don't expect it to take amazing photographs either.

19. DopestGingah thread starter macrumors regular

Will do!

Why does all of my friends iPhone's not do this? Did you get a day one iPhone? I did so it might be an early defect.

20. DopestGingah thread starter macrumors regular

Okay sorry to take so long but I went to the Apple Store the other day and I explained the situation to the guy. He took a picture of the counter with my phone and then took one with his phone. When he compared the two, his was noticeably better but it still had a slight pink spot. He then told me that it was how all phones are. WTF? Should I go back on a different day/time and try to get a different person or go to a different store? I don't buy this at all.

21. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

to be honest, who expects a cheap mobile phone camera to take good indoor pictures of white walls?

have a look at pictures with a serious content, e.g. with people in it, and see if you like them.

stop taking pictures of white walls.