Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
OMG. Ok, pretend for a second he's not teaching a class or giving a presentation and he's just standing around crossing his arms and his Watch activates and changes faces. Now what's your response?

Disable "activate on wrist raise" and move on with your life?

mightyjabba

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2014
Tatooine
I'll have to say, just having tried this a few times, I can't cross my arms comfortably in the way the OP describes. Even if I do tuck my left arm under the right, the watch is still outside. Beyond that, I can't get the screen to activate at all using my forearm, much less activate and then receive a force touch input. So I'm guessing it gets activated due to the wrist raise and then immediately detects a force touch when it gets squeezed by the arm? I don't know. Seems like a very unusual issue.

Subdiv

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2014
Colorado
I'll have to say, just having tried this a few times, I can't cross my arms comfortably in the way the OP describes. Even if I do tuck my left arm under the right, the watch is still outside. Beyond that, I can't get the screen to activate at all using my forearm, much less activate and then receive a force touch input. So I'm guessing it gets activated due to the wrist raise and then immediately detects a force touch when it gets squeezed by the arm? I don't know. Seems like a very unusual issue.
Then I'm guessing you can't do this either...

Attachments

• pretzel.jpg
    pretzel.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 161

roddenshaw

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
this past week I learned a new (and only one) annoyance with my 38mm sport. I was teach a class and several times while I was standing I crossed my arms. I wear the watch on my left wrist and when I cross my arms my left wrist is the one that gets tucked under.
Well, the motion of crossing my arms activates the screen. Then when I settle into the crossed position, my right forearm apparently applies enough pressure to the screen and it kept going into the change watchface mode.
Very annoying when you're giving a presentation and have a timer going and it keeps backing out of the watchface.
Just something I noticed.

I cannot replicate your problem; if I cover the screen it automatically goes off. If you call your cell, and cover your watch screen, does that dismiss the call? If not you could have a defective watch.

Mymosa

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2015
SoCal girl living in Jersey
Shocker. The MacRumors peanut gallery strikes again.

I just wanted to chime in to say that I think it's interesting that everyone is assuming the OP is a male. Based on the OP's statement that they have a 38mm Apple Watch, I would think the more common assumption would be that the OP is a female.

Since we're making assumptions about assumptions and critiquing, I'm a female and I have the 42mm SS w Classic Buckle. I'm waiting for my SSSB which is also a 42mm.

I am also a professor part time at several universities and am quite popular, but I've never crossed my arms in class (don't want to totally say never!). As a therapist also, it does convey a certain message at times. I especially can't do it in my more controversial courses like Racism as it might convey disapproval, impatience, or judgement on what the students are saying. You sound tense to be pressing that hard!;) congrats though on doing such a great job!

The whole wrist switching thing isn't always easy. I have the problem with the tattoo interfering with some of the functions of the watch, but I don't switch to the other wrist because part of why I wear my watch on that side is to cover the tattoo!
And you all know it's hard sometime not to get defensive when someone says something that may be critical.

( like I'm hoping my spelling and grammar are okay so the whole professor disclosure doesn't make me look bad!!):D

----------

Then I'm guessing you can't do this either...

Ok that got a serious laugh out loud!!

Essentiae

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2018
while I was standing I crossed my arms. I wear the watch on my left wrist and when I cross my arms my left wrist is the one that gets tucked under.
Well, the motion of crossing my arms activates the screen. Then when I settle into the crossed position, my right forearm apparently applies enough pressure to the screen and it kept going into the change watchface mode.

I have this problem too. I tend to cross my arms a lot, so it happens frequently that things get checked off of my to do list by my forearm on the modular face or, more commonly, that it changes the watch face. Because of this, I've tended to switch my watch from time to time so that it's on the underside of my wrist. One of the benefits of this is that it also makes it much easier to be discreet when checking the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.