Annoying Double Download problem...

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Alonski, May 2, 2009.

1. Alonski macrumors newbie

Anyone know how to prevent iTunes store purchases made on Apple TV from automatically downloading into my MacBook Pro? I don't want them on my laptop.

I know erasing them on ATV will solve this issue, but I would like to have the option of keeping them on Apple TV only.

I already disabled automatic downloads in iTunes, but as soon as I purchase anything new like a song... here comes the movie download again.

Thanks in advance!

2. dmm219 macrumors 6502

ATV is a 'syncing' device with iTunes. In other words, if it isn't in your iTunes library, it will be removed from your ATV the next time you sync. It's pretty dangerous to attempt to store iTunes purchases only on your ATV...why? because the next time the ATV tries to sync, if those files are not also in your computer's iTunes library, they will be erased from your ATV. Congratulations, you have now lost all of your purchases and will have to buy them again.

Unfortunately, as of now, this is the way the ATV works. Hopefully Apple fixes this in the future, (with WiiWare style...redownload all you like option)...but I wouldn't count on it any time soon...

Also, be aware, if you ever buy something in HD off of the ATV, your PC will also ALWAYS download the SD version as well...just how it is...