Annoying folders in /Volumes?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by haravikk, Oct 14, 2009.

1. haravikk macrumors 65816

I've had this come up more now that I'm using an encrypted disk-image for my Time Machine back-ups, but it seems that sometimes when a disk-image is unmounted it leaves behind a permanent folder in /Volumes.

This is annoying because it means that if you re-mount the image then it is mounted with a different name; instead of "My Image" it'll be "My image 1".
    This is especially annoying for encrypted Time Machine back-ups as to stop Time Machine un-mounting the disk-image all the time, I have to open a second image stored within it, and I'm trying to do this via script, but this fails if the original image is renamed.

Anyway, does anyone know what is causing these folders to be created, and what can be done to prevent it from happening?

My suspicion is that it may occur if the disk-images are un-mounted in the wrong order at shut-down time, since one is contained within the other, the "child" image needs to be unmounted first, which may not be happening. But I've not found another way to have Time Machine backup to an image without un-mounting it, as Time Machine can't re-mount an encrypted image automatically as it won't provide the password, or even look it up from the keychain (even though hdiutils will do this by default). The only alternative I know of is to mount the image with the root flag -notremovable, but this kind of defeats the point of encrypting the drive as simply starting up my computer with the drive attached would make the back-up volume readable.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This happens sometimes. It's perfectly safe to delete the duplicate folders in /Volumes as long as the corresponding disks/disk images are not connected.

3. haravikk thread starter macrumors 65816

I know, but the problem is that it's happening 1 in 4 or 5 times, seeing as I have to shutdown my computer every day, and the disk is automatically mounted when I log-in, it's awfully annoying to have it happen all the time :(