Annoying FTP problems with Fetch and Cyberduck in Leopard!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PowerFullMac, Jan 20, 2009.

1. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I have put this here because it fits the situation best and I am not sure what is actually causing the problem but I'm sure it's something on my end and not the server's end.

Basically, when I try to upload something via FTP it does not work, the upload fails after around 2-3MB. My host says that the server is fine as they where able to upload 7MB without a single problem.

My Leopard firewall is off and I have tried using Cyberduck and Fetch, both of which ended in failure.

I think this may be a problem with my router as it's the only thing with a firewall that's on but I have no idea what to do in the settings and I don't want to go screwing it up so here I am asking for help!

I have admin access to the router so I can get in and change settings if needed.

2. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Have you tried multiple FTP servers? I'm just asking to make sure it's not an issue with the FTP server.

I've used cyberduck for huge files (4GB) and it has worked for me. So I doubt the app is the problem...

3. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

It's not the server because the host did tests when I reported the problem to them (it's the first thing I done) and they where able to upload things fine and they said they found no errors in the setup of the server or my account.

4. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Sounds like something is wonky with your connection, whether that's from the router, or somewhere else. The fact that cyberduck can start and initiate the transfer means it is getting everything done - the interruption in the middle is likely due to another factor

5. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Have you toggled between Passive and Non-Passive transfers?

6. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

How do I do this?

7. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Preferences / General / FTP Compatability / Use Passive Mode Transfers

I used to support an ftp site from which 400 newspapers would pull ad material on a daily basis. Whenever there was transfer issues such as yours, this would work more often than not. Of course, there may be interference along the line (Wifi and DSL) that disrupts active transfers, which FTP is particularly vulnerable to.

Toggling "Keep connections alive" may also prevent premature closing of the connection before teh transfer is complete.

8. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I think I have a different version to you because my preferences don't have that layout but don't owrry because FileZilla done it for me! :)

Now I have problems with MediaWiki itself but I'll go make a thread in the web development section for that.

Thanks for the help! :)

9. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

try using this FTP tool that works right from a web browser.

When Dreamweaver is not cooperating with me, I use it and it works every time.

http://webftper.com/index.html

10. tjust macrumors newbie

i had this problem in Fetch also. checking the box "Keep connections alive" fixed it.

hard to find support for FTP issues, so this was great to stumble across.