annoying iCloud activation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hawon, Oct 22, 2015.

1. hawon macrumors member

I have several iPhones and iPads. One thing annoys me the most is whenever I update iOS, I will have to go through signing into iCloud and go through setup on every devices. Why is Apple doing this?

2. aristobrat macrumors G5

Not sure, but had to do the same thing with the last Mac OS X update (10.11.1) also.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

Had to sign in as part of iOS 9.1 update and originally part of 9.0, but didn't really need to set anything up, and don't think had to do anything like that for iOS 9.0.1 or 9.0.2. Don't think there were many updates before that required that, so it's hard to say if it's something that is really going to be applying to every update.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

To stop thieves and the illegal buying and selling of lost and stolen I-devices.
    It only takes a few seconds to log in or out of iCloud.
    Same reason you have to go thru and keep using your keys to lock and unlock your car and house.
    Unless you want to leave things open and hope for the best.

5. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I don't mind it myself.

If only Apple would improve iCloud functionality, but it's been years. When migrating from MobileMe to iCloud, Apple promised they'd do a better job. Thus far I haven't experienced any improvements of significance. I'm just waiting and watching after using it till there was an issue. They just don't seem to understand cloud services.

Yet the good news is Google Drive has been just fantastic and I like all of Googles services. Luckily that's an option that completely eliminates my need for iCloud.

As an Apple enthusiast I'd really like to use iCloud but I just cannot deal with the risk, frustration and potential for data loss. I know many people will claim nothing has been lost yet, but that's not the point. You've got to have trust in the product. I have had just enough problems with iCloud to have my trust eroded.

6. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

I had to sign into iCloud, not sure what setup process you're referring to.

7. danny_w macrumors 601

And you believed them? ;-) Yes like you said Apple has never seemed to understand cloud services. They should just give in and hire it out to somebody that knows what the heck they are doing.

8. aristobrat macrumors G5

What cloud doesn't have potential for data loss (either by you, accidentally deleting something and then marveling at how well the cloud works as it's simultaneously deleted from all of your devices -- or by a malfunction with your cloud provider)?

This is why I like iCloud. Even though the data primarily lives up in "the cloud", pretty much all of it gets backed up locally on my Mac (hourly) via Time Machine.

So although it's probably way more likely that I'll be the cause of any iCloud data loss, it's a piece of cake of restore iCloud Drive files, Photos, Mail, Contacts, Safari data, or Keychains.

Calendar, Reminders and Notes are a bit trickier to restore, but their data gets backed up locally and can be restored as well.

To me, a good cloud strategy requires a fair bit more than "trust in the product".