Annoying iOS "feature", a fix?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by el-John-o, Jan 13, 2011.

1. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Hey all,

Maybe I'm just behind the times, but, one thing that has bugged me about my iPad is that when opening a web browser, or the youtube app, I never get a clean slate. Even if the device has been restarted, or closed out of the multi tasking bar, the website that opens is the last website I visited, tapping a search field only shows my last search, etc. It's a real pain in the butt because then I have to backspace out of whatever to do ANYTHING!

Is there a way to disable that junk? Any way to have a "clean slate" when I open an app? For the record, I use Safari, Atomic and Skyfire as web browsers, and the youtube app yields the same annoyances.

-John

2. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

You mean like an about:blank homepage? Yeah I've wondered about that too. The only pseudo-workaround I use is to try and remember to leave a blank page open wbefore I exit a browser. :D

3. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Atomic has the option to set load on startup page as blank if required.

4. LAnMarc macrumors member

LAnMarc

For Safari, you could enter "about:blank" or just "about:", into the address bar and touch "GO".
    You can then touch the "send to" button (next to the address bar) and touch "Add to Home Screen".
    This will add an icon to one of your home screens that you can then use instead of the Safari icon.
    The icon isn't pretty, but it works.

5. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

Doesn't work if you have more tgan one tab open

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Just to be sure, you do know there's a little (X) at the end of the URL and Search boxes that you can click to erase everything without backspacing?

Attached Files:

7. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

The iCab browser has privacy features and options to let you clear history on exit.

But I'm surprised anyone would want a clean slate whenever they left their browser.

8. trsnrtr macrumors 6502

trsnrtr

I use Atomic with a home page set to a generic website.

It is annoying to have a browser reopen to a previous web page if it's a forum site that uses cookies to remember your visit and updates threads or whatever.

I've had that problem with Safari when it opens to a forum that I don't wish to peruse at that time.

9. BrennerM macrumors regular

Isn't this a moot point because of multitasking (task switching)? Or is everyone going through the trouble to physically terminate their browser each time they leave it?

I would expect a proper multitasking app would always resume right where you left off unless you terminate it. What if you needed to look something up in your email while you are browsing, would you expect the browser to be reset when you returned to it? That would be very inconvenient.

10. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Agreed. Besides, since the iPad doesn't have "true" multitasking, I always want my browsers to retain what they were at when I was last viewing them. The little (x) negates any issue with typing in a new URL as all it takes is one "touch" of the x and I am ready to enter a URL.

11. el-John-o thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes I knew Safari had that, but that doesn't fix the google search, or the YouTube app, etc.

On multi-tasking, it's still not ideal. When I multi-task at my PC, it's a session at a time. THEN I close the applications, and expect to start over when I sit back down at my desk. What I find annoying is, even if the app is closed or the iPad restarted, I am right where I was before, which 9 times out of 10 isn't where I want to be when I pick it up again.

Also, I have atomic, AND have it set to a homepage, but it's not working? It leaves all the tabs open I had before, very frustrating.

-John