Annoying iTunes message (Firewall)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dj2mc, Nov 26, 2010.

1. dj2mc macrumors member

dj2mc

[​IMG]

Time for noob question #1. Everytime I open iTunes, this windows pops up and is very annoying. I follow the instructions on what I have to do and it still pops up.
    Any ideas? Thank you. :)

2. nicksmolenski macrumors regular

nicksmolenski

Yeah I had this for a bit as well. Try turning off your firewall; that did the trick for me.

3. dj2mc thread starter macrumors member

dj2mc

4. LPZ macrumors 65816

OS X should automatically allow iTunes to accept incoming connections, assuming the application is correctly code-signed by Apple (and it should be). You should never see that message at all.

Quit iTunes. Go back to the Firewall pane in System Preferences. Click on Start and re-enable the Firewall. Click on Advanced. Is "Automatically allow signed software to receive incoming connections" checked? If not, check it. Also, is iTunes listed in the box above that? If so, I'd click on it to select that line, and then click the minus sign below the box to delete the iTunes setting. Then click OK and then quit System Preference. Restart iTunes. Does the annoying window still appear?

5. LPZ macrumors 65816

Not the right solution!

6. nicksmolenski macrumors regular

nicksmolenski

Well I tried what you said to see why I was wrong, and yet the message started coming up on iTunes again. It says when turning off firewall that "All incoming connections to this computer are allowed." And it works for my computer.

Is it the "right" way to do it? I don't know. But it works for my iTunes, and I don't mind having my firewall down.

But anyway, dj2mc, if all incoming connections are allowed, I have no idea why the notice still appears.

7. dj2mc thread starter macrumors member

dj2mc

Yep, still popping up this message. And the thing is, I've tried everyway possible, re-installed, did other methods from other sites. To be honest I think it may just be my iTunes/Mac. Idk.

8. LPZ macrumors 65816

Open Terminal (in Utilities) and enter

Code:
    codesign -vvv /Applications/iTunes.app/
    Please post the output.

9. dj2mc thread starter macrumors member

dj2mc

This worked. Thank you so much!

Cheers.

10. LPZ macrumors 65816

You're welcome, but it was something else you did that worked. (Did you trash your iTunes app and re-download?) The command I suggested was simply to see if there was an code-sign related problem.

I was about to edit my previous post to indicate what the output from the codesign command should be:

Code:
    Magpie: ~] codesign -vvv /Applications/iTunes.app/
    /Applications/iTunes.app/: valid on disk
    /Applications/iTunes.app/: satisfies its Designated Requirement

11. dj2mc thread starter macrumors member

dj2mc

Yeah it said I had resources missing, so I trashed the iTunes and did a reinstall.
    Thank you for the code up top, btw!

12. LPZ macrumors 65816

No, it's not right to have to disable your firewall in order to avoid such a warning. You likely have an incorrectly signed iTunes app. It's possible that Apple released something that wasn't correct, as others have had the same problem. I had a similar issue once with Safari, and the problem persisted until Apple fixed the bundle they were distributing.

As I suggested earlier, open Terminal (in Utilities) and enter

Code:
    If you don't get

Code:

you should trash your iTunes application, empty the trash and download a new copy. Then try again.

13. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

wondered why that message popped up every time I opened iTunes...
    BTW, I get the following....

/Applications/iTunes.app/: a sealed resource is missing or invalid
    /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/AACEncoderConfig.nib/keyedobjects.nib: resource modified
    /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/AskUser.nib/keyedobjects.nib: resource modified
    /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/AutofillSettings.nib/keyedobjects.nib: resource modified
    /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/BurnSettings.nib/keyedobjects.nib: resource modified
    /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/CDInfo.nib/keyedobjects.nib: resource modified
    /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/ConvertID3.nib/keyedobjects.nib: resource modified
    /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/EQPresets.nib/keyedobjects.nib: resource modified
    /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/ImportSettings.nib/keyedobjects.nib: resource modified
    /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunesDJSettings.nib/keyedobjects.nib: resource modified
    /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/MP3EncoderConfig.nib/keyedobjects.nib: resource modified
    /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/PCMEncoderConfig.nib/keyedobjects.nib: resource modified
    /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/PodcastSettings.nib/keyedobjects.nib: resource modified
    /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/PromptForLongString.nib/keyedobjects.nib: resource modified
    /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/PromptForShortString.nib/keyedobjects.nib: resource modified

14. LPZ macrumors 65816

Yuck! Trash the app and download a new one.

15. dj2mc thread starter macrumors member

dj2mc

Nukemkb, that solves the issue! Mine was the same way, and it is very much worth it to just out the iTunes app in the trash, delete it, and then do a re-install from the net, and then all your library is there still and dont need to worry about losing data. Out of about 20 things I tried, that suggestion was the ONLY one that truly solved it.

16. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

It's totally odd. I just saw this thread and entered the command in terminal just for the heck of it. I've never had a problem with iTunes, nor does anything pop up when I open it. And I got the same result as you did.

codesign -vvv /Applications/iTunes.app//Applications/iTunes.app/: a sealed resource is missing or invalid
    /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/AACEncoderConfig.nib/keyedobjects.nib: resource modified
    /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/AskUser.nib/keyedobjects.nib: resource modified
    /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/AutofillSettings.nib/keyedobjects.nib: resource modified
    /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/BurnSettings.nib/keyedobjects.nib: resource modified
    /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/CDInfo.nib/keyedobjects.nib: resource modified
    /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/ConvertID3.nib/keyedobjects.nib: resource modified
    /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/EQPresets.nib/keyedobjects.nib: resource modified
    /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/ImportSettings.nib/keyedobjects.nib: resource modified
    /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iTunesDJSettings.nib/keyedobjects.nib: resource modified
    /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/MP3EncoderConfig.nib/keyedobjects.nib: resource modified
    /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/PCMEncoderConfig.nib/keyedobjects.nib: resource modified
    /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/PodcastSettings.nib/keyedobjects.nib: resource modified
    /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/PromptForLongString.nib/keyedobjects.nib: resource modified
    /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/PromptForShortString.nib/keyedobjects.nib: resource modified

So trashing the app and re-downloading doesn't cause you to lose any data?

17. LPZ macrumors 65816

If you trash just the application, no personal data is lost. Your music and preferences are elsewhere.

18. dj2mc thread starter macrumors member

dj2mc

No, Sir.. simply trash it (delete), download iTunes again, and voila! Problem solved.
    The actual iTunes Library, is saved under "Music". Your app icon is just the execution file, not your physical location of data. So when you trash the app, your simply trashing the "outer shell" of the program, keeping your internal shell still intact.

19. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

And my iTunes is also performing correctly! Thanks folks!! Who would have thought dumping the app and re-installing would correct the problem? (ok, not me...) Thanks again!! :D

edited to show: