Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
When I am on campus my gmail will not forward to my Mail.app set-up that I have. FOr this reason I can only answer my Gmail from the web-based interface. Doing this is no problem. The problem is that when I get back home and mail.app connects I get copies of every e mail that I sent from gmail forwarded to my mail.app inbox.

Is there a setting that I missed, or is this just something I'm going to have to live with?

Thanks in advance.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
It's probably your university blocking the ports that mail uses to talk to the gmail servers.

Why not create a rule that says if any mails show up in your inbox that are from you that mail.app copies them to your sent mail folder.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
I had the same issue, so i set up a Rule in Mail.app which states any message that is sent from me gets moved to my Sent box in Mail.app, and gets marked as read.

Mavimao

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2005
Lyon, France
Everyone's said it already, but Google wants to re-invent email: their philosophy is to have ALL of your email in one folder - the inbox - and you just use search to find an email you're looking for. Because of their retooling of email organization, there are no folders on the web client, and your sent mail gets placed in the inbox which means Mail.app picks it up as a new piece of email.

Follow the links above to set "rules" to make sure that every email you get from yourself gets sent to the sent box unread.

Speaking of which, does anyone know how to customize this rule to allow iCal to send email alerts to you?

reubs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
Thanks everyone. I'm new to mail, so all of these things are brand new to me. Thanks again for your help. I think that might have worked.

As to the problems with gmail and mail interacting, those of us who use Adium have the same problems connecting to Google chat through that service. It's pretty annoying, but the tech guys are pretty helpless sometimes.

Thanks again for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.