Annoying MDD Problem

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bunnspecial, Feb 6, 2015.

1. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I used my dual 1ghz MDD for a little while this week(first time in a while I've had it on), and kept noticing an annoying problem with it.

The main boot drive in this system is 250gb Seagate Barracuda. I installed this drive a few months ago, and it was brand new-I broke the shrink wrap on the box, although admittedly the manufacture date is(I think) 2008 or so. At the time, Smart Utility reported 0 hours of run time, and after my sporadic use of the computer it's up to about 20 or 30 hours.

The drive has two partitions. The first is 200gb and has a clean install of Leopard. The remainder of the drive(40gb or so-whatever is left over since the real-world capacity isn't actually 250gb) has the system restore disks installed with 10.2 and OS 9.2.2. I primarily boot the computer into Leopard. There's very little installed in Leopard-it has the standard install fully updated to 10.5.8(I think about 10gb total), as well as Office 2008, Leopard Webkit, Tenfourfox, and maybe a handful of other programs. All told, I don't think there's more than 20gb or so on that partition of the drive, and I doubt even that much.

When I was using it this past week, I noticed that on every boot when I attempted to copy files onto the hard drive, I would get a "no space available" message. This would happen even when copying files that were a few kilobytes.

Moving a file to the trash(I tried to find "disposable" downloads like the images for Webkit or TFF) and then emptying the trash would then result in the system properly reporting the free space as 180gb or so, and I would have no issues copying whatever I wanted onto the drive.

Does anyone know what could possibly be causing this issue? As I said, it's not a commonly used computer(I was mainly using it this past week to test video cards and flash video cards, and was trying to copy the requisite ROMs and drivers onto the HDD) but is still annoying when I do need to use it.

2. Surrat macrumors 6502

Surrat

Thats really wierd, my 1.25ghz MDD has never done anything like that, and I have four 500gig IDE hitachi drives in it. Maybe one of your drives isnt totally compatible with the onboard controller?

3. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

1. Download Volitans SMART Utility or if you can compile it yourself "Smartmontools" or use comando code to grab SMART info. Look, if the Drive maybe has bad sectors. I had a Samsung 640GB drive that would have a transfer speed of 0,8MB/s in the first 15GB, if the 15GB were full the speed was ok again. It was because it tried to re-read sectors and replace them with spare sectors (that are held in the back to replace a certain amount of failing sectors). Then I came to a point that, when I wanted to overwrite the dirve with zeros and it said it wasn't possible. (although bad sectors stayed at 430).

2. search google for "empty disk/drive filling up Mac OS X", I remember that this was a problem. But I think in that case iTunes or so was really writing small files to the drive that would fill up the drive. So it is a bit different, but... anyway, maybe there is something similar.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I suspect that this is more likely to be a filesystem issue rather than a hardware problem. Have you tried checking the filesystem for errors?

Reboot with Cmd-S then type "fsck -fy /" (and then it's either "reboot" or "restart" to get back into OS X).

5. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I'm well acquainted with fsck, but hadn't thought of trying it here. I'll do so.