Annoying mouse behavior

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Eusebius, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Eusebius macrumors member

The mouse in question is the one that comes with the imac. For no reason that I can discern, the mouse cursor will suddenly fly off without warning to one of the corners of the screen, usually the lower left corner. Why does this happen? Is there an antidote to this behavior?

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

why would this have anything to do with it?

are you using a wired or wireless mouse with your imac? is it a mighty mouse? when i was using a wired microsoft mouse with my macbook pro i had this exact same behaviour. i now have a wireless mighty mouse and havent experienced it again. this leeds me to believe that it may be a problem with your mouse... is it under warranty? can you try using a different mouse?

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Because Firefox makes my mouse cursor behave just like that (one of the reasons I'm testing Camino at the moment ;)), and if the erratic behaviour was only linked to Firefox then it would be a kind of explanation and - at least - it shouldn't be anything wrong with the system, even though I have no idea how to fix it. :)

5. Eusebius thread starter macrumors member

It's the mouse that comes with the imac, yes, I think it's a wired mighty mouse. I bought the imac last january, so it -- and the mouse -- are still under warranty, I assume. Safari is the only browser I ever use, but the "flying" behavior happens elsewhere too: microsoft word and iwork pages to name two.

6. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Try using the mouse on different surfaces. I find that shiny surfaces can make the cursor a bit erratic.

7. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Check the lense isn't dusty or dirty, use a cotton bud just to wipe the lense, carefully.

If your using it on a really smooth surface (glass, highly polished wood etc) you need to get a mouse mat.

Try another optical mouse, if it doesn't do the same, get onto apple for a replacement.

Hope that helps

8. Eusebius thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your suggestions! I use the mouse on a wood desk. I'll try my old mouse pad from pre-optical days and see what happens.

9. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Any update Eusebius? My wired Mighty Mouse does the same thing every now and then. I just switched mouse pads to see if that makes any difference. I too can't see any reason that firefox would cause this, plus I see it outside of firefox all the time.

10. philberesford macrumors newbie

I found switching Bluetooth OFF fixed this for me.