Annoying noise

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by SDAVE, Aug 22, 2007.

1. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Is it me or does anyone else have this problem? The power supply buzz seems to have gotten a bit worse. It is now a variable type of noise, and if I put my ear next to the case, it's very apparent.

I've been using Windows for the past two days, does this have to do with anything???

2. waremaster macrumors 6502

Hello First off we are talking about the Mac Pro right? If so did you by chance install a second third or forth HD in the machine? If so I would almost bet it's the HD caddy/slide doing the vibrating. I had that problem when I installed a bunch of raptors in my system. I simply pulled each drive and put a bit of downward preasure on the slide so that it fits into the slide a little tighter and problem was solved.

3. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Hi, sorry yes, it is a Mac Pro 8 Core.

I do have a 2nd drive in the bay (400GB WD SATAII drive, not a raptor) and this noise happens when that drive is not in use. It seems to come from the rear, towards the power cable side, so that's the power supply.

Should I contact Apple support?

4. volvoben macrumors 6502

I believe what waremaster was referring to was not the hard drive access noise but just the spinning of the platter itself (unless of course you meant that the noise still occurs when the drive is spun down). If there are no drives in the rear of the case you can probably rule out a HDD, so just open up the case and get a more accurate ear-reading of the location.

I’m harping on the HDD option because I have an old 160g drive in a server that made an awful intermittent buzzing noise until I tightened it up. Now it makes the whole desk vibrate so I might buy an enclosure for it and use it for backup, but the buzzing made me fear for my fans and PS before I opened her up and listened around.

If it isn’t just an annoying HDD, it could be fans or perhaps something in the PS, so if you feel it’s loud enough that the genius will actually be able to hear it, bring it in (or call first since the thing's a bit of a bear to haul around).

5. waremaster macrumors 6502

That is correct I was referring to vibrations due to the spinning of the drives to test that theory simply take the side of the case off and put your hand on the drive caddies and if the “buzzing” sound stops you know that is the cause.

6. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

SDAVE,

Take a look at my posts over here in this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4090864

I have started to notice my Mac Pro slightly buzzing and buzzing louder under UPS power.

It's definitely not anything inside the machine...it's coming from the power supply.

Not sure if the slight buzzing has always been there as my Mac Pro is on the floor and under street power, to hear it, I need to get real close.....but I noticed today the louder buzz on battery power.

Do you have a UPS? Does it make more noise when you are on battery power?

-Kevin

7. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Hi Kevin,

My Mac is connected directly to the 3 prong wall outlet. I do not have a UPS.

I am in an office environment.

Also the noise is gone now, but it comes and goes?

8. thxdave macrumors member

It also could be from something as simple as heating and cooling of the cabinet. I've had cases where the metal in the side panels/top panels would change position just enough to move up against something else inside the case. Has your office gotten hotter or cooler than normal lately? Is the noise affected if you press lightly on the case anywhere?

9. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Hi Dave,

I thought about it being a heat issue, but my office has A/C so it's always around 79-80C around here. If I push it down more, I'll freeze myself :)

I have another computer running here (server, has Windows on it) but that one is not generating as much heat from the back as the Mac Pro is.

There is plenty of room behind and around the Mac Pro. It's currently on the floor and has always been.

10. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Ok guys what I've noticed is that this noise happens mostly when I am under Windows.?

11. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

I'll jsut throw out that it may be the firewire controller? idk if windows could have a driver that makes it buzz. but i have hear firewire controllers/firewire based hds put out some mean screams/buzzes/scweals at certain times.. is that a possiblity?

12. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

SDAVE

But I don't have any FireWire drives connected...matter of fact, I don't have any firewire devices connected, only USB.