Annoying pop up everytime I download

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ib4walrus, Aug 6, 2008.

1. ib4walrus macrumors regular

There is an annoying pop up every time I download anything off of Firefox. Even opening up torrents will activate the pop up at the bottom right of my desktop. Is there anyway to get rid of this? I have no idea what causes this and can't stand it! I'm also using Azureus if that may be the culprit.

*Is a small square box with the words "Information" at the top if that helps. :(

2. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

3. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

It's probably the Growl-style pop-up saying "All files have finished downloading" with the green symbol. From what I've seen, you can't turn it off. But maybe as clevin, he might know how.

Also, look under System Preferences >> Growl. Is it there? If so, you can disable it.

Edit, in Firefox, type "about:config" in the URL-bar and then type "browser.download.manager.showAlertOnComplete". Set the value to false by double-clicking.

4. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

I'm afraid that users don't read the messages, just click OK and go ahead...

5. ib4walrus thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry that I didn't specify what the messages says. It generally just says "Download of ____ has completed" or if I add a torrent to Azureus it will say "____ has been added to the download list" or "____ has already been added to the download list" which causes me to believe that Azureus might be the program. The look of the pop-up is kinda like that of Azureus also. The pop-up also keeps like a mini-history on what I have downloaded.

I've tried about:config and that didn't stop it and I don't have Growl.

6. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

Have you tried to remove FF profile (~/Library/Application Support/Firefox)? Be careful and make a copy of your bookmarks.

7. ib4walrus thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry I'm new to this mac so would the Mozilla folder (only thing I can find in Application Support) be what I'm looking for? And would I move the whole folder to trash?

8. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

Go to "Your user name/Library/Application Support". There should be folder called Firefox. In this folder Firefox keep your profile and configuration. When I have problems with FF, I just remove that folder. After re-lunch Firefox, mentioned folder is re-created. Just remember to export bookmarks (in FF menu Bookmarks/Organize Bookmarks... and then Backup... from toolbar) before you remove profile. Hope it helps.

9. ib4walrus thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your help. I've found out that the problem was not with FF but with Azureus :cool: (after I deleted it the pop-ups stopped). I guess I have to use transmission now.

10. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

You're welcome. Glad to hear that you solved the problem.