Annoying pop-up --> malware or maybe router??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by majasofia, Apr 5, 2009.

1. majasofia macrumors newbie

Hi!

I'm devastated, my infallible Macbook has now shown not to be all that infallible! :eek:

My problem is a pop-up window saying:

"Popup blocking software has prevented display of the Trend Micro Security Services dashboard. Open an Internet Explorer window and enter the following url in the address box: http://tmss.trendmicro.com/dashboard."

that first only popped up when I visited a new page (any page) but now it won't go away at all and I cant visit any page since it keeps popping up again and again and prevents other pages to load. (I'm writing this from my old PC)

I normally use Safari but when I tried Explorer and Mozilla the same thing happened. I haven't installed anything from Trend Micro.

I have recently moved to a new house where I share the router with my landlords downstairs...could the router be the problem or is my precious affected by something?

Please....anyone??

2. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

3. Crackman macrumors newbie

You need to get into the router interface and disable this trend micro security crap. This has nothing to do with your computer.

I've had the same problem.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I was going to post earlier but I've had time to think about it. The majority of the cases online have been providing support for malware removal and some Java issue under Windows.

I think it's some sort of malware protection on the router that has to be disabled or even some sort of DNS hijack from there.

5. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

internet explorer?
    is that Your Browser of Choice???:eek::rolleyes::p

but srsly. why are u using ie?

6. kiddax macrumors newbie

7. majasofia thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, that seemed to be the problem. And its now solved! I asked my landlord to disable TMSS on the router, and he managed to get rid of it and I can go back to loving my mac. Great!

Found this: http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/wind...y-message-on-IE7-Popup-blocking-software.html

Thanks for the help! :)

Read again, I do not use IE, I have installed it as a backup in situations like this.

Sorry..can't tell, its my landlords.