Annoying pop up ties up Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macmesser, Oct 15, 2015.

1. macmesser, Oct 15, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2015

macmesser macrumors 6502a

I am running OS 10.7.5 on my '09 Mac Pro and I have somehow picked up a virus-like pop up. I get an obviously bogus warning popup telling me a virus is present and giving an emergency number to call. Attempts to dismiss the warning page just result in the page opening again. If I quit or force quit Safari the same thing happens again when I reopen it. Also persists after a restart. What do I have to get rid of to make this stop? Thanks for any insights.

ps- Preferences are disabled while this happens so I can't even reset and a spoken message is played as well. I tried to take a screen shot but that's disabled for Safari windows as well.

2. chrfr macrumors 603

The fix listed here should solve it:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...ious-open-windows-tabs.1196418/#post-13026061

Also, you should strongly consider upgrading the operating system on that computer. Newer versions of Safari have a way to stop those messages from recurring, and 10.7.5 hasn't received any security updates in over a year.

3. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

• Force quit Safari
    • Relaunch Safari holding the shift key down (so it won't reload the previous session)

4. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for reply. I tried this too and it went right back in to the loop when safari was launched Strange.