Annoying "problem" with keyboard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xgunther, Jul 17, 2010.

1. xgunther macrumors newbie

Okay so a few months ago, I ordered a 2010 Macbook Pro, it arrived a few days later. My friend and I were drinking red wine. He asked to use my new computer and although hesitant (I treat my macs like babies) I allowed him to. A few minutes later, I hear a glass break and a scream.

He had spilled an entire glass of wine all over the keyboard. I was in shock. The ONE time I let someone else hold my baby, they get it drunk! I quickly shut it off, and used a blow dryer like a mad man for hours. A few days passed, and I turned it on. The liquid appeared to have dried up, there were no obvious hardware issues.

Fast forward a few months. Everything is fine, but the keys are becoming increasingly sticky underneath. They never stick and repeat keystrokes, but it takes some effort to press down sometimes. Sometimes it gets better (almost unnoticeable) and other times, it gets a lot worse.

I'm pretty sure, since the wine is not just pure water, that there were sugars that have attracted dust and dirt that are making it difficult to input keystrokes. Why it sometimes gets better and worse is beyond me, perhaps the keys heat up, and the sludge melts a little.

Any advice on how to clean and/or remove this crap from under my keys?

On a side note, even though my friend apologized profusely, this has definitely put a scar on our friendship. ;)

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Your best chance of getting all of the wine, dust or anything that might be causing the sticky keys is to take the computer/keyboard apart.

3. xgunther thread starter macrumors newbie

4. eng42ine macrumors 68000

eng42ine

Not really, not to mention that if you mess something up, you void the warranty...

5. xgunther thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, well I'm sure the warranty is void already. The liquid sensors probably changed colors when the incident first happened. Thanks for your help guys, I'll look around to see if there is a local business that can clean it for me.

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

On your next Macbook purchase get a silicone keyboard cover.

7. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

Dont most of them make the backlight not work so well?

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Most of them do except for the iSkin Protouch FX, which is what I use. It comes with colored keys that are etched for the backlit keyboard to work. It's very easy to type on and doesn't feel awkward like most of the silicone covers.
    http://www.iskin.com/protouch_macbook/fx_features.html#continue