Annoying Problem with new SSD. Someone please help :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jcarter995, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Jcarter995 macrumors newbie

:(

I oredered this new SSD for my computer as I was told my factory HHD went bad. Plugged in the new crucial mx100 128gb ssd in where the old hd used to be. Used command-r internet recovery, then when I go to install osx on to the new ssd, I get the same screen as before.. Nothing.

Im not really sure what to do at this point, im not really liking the idea of dumping more money into this computer and still not getting results. What could the issue be? Did I forget a step? its a late 2012 macbook pro 13 inch.

Im considering cutting my losses and buying a new retina, but it would really be a stretch to have to spend that kind of money, can anyone advise me please? I have included pics for reference. you'll see in the 2nd picture it doesnt show a disk to install osx to.

Attached Files:

2. Jcarter995 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. OldMacUser macrumors member

OldMacUser

I believe you might need to format the SSD in Disk Utility (after booting using CMD-R) before the installer will recognise it as a valid disk.

4. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

OldMacUser is correct. You have to use Disk Utility to initialize the new SSD before you can install OSX on it.

5. Jcarter995 thread starter macrumors newbie

Forgive my ignorance, but how would I do that via internet revorery

6. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

You need to format it in Disk Utility to "Mac OS Extended Journaled" before doing anything.

Look it up on youtube if you need a tutorial.

Then it will be recognized.

7. Jcarter995 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried earsing the new ssd (which is apparently part of formating it) and I got an error message saying

disk erase failed with error
    wiping volume data to prevent future accidental probing failed

Im kind of a dummy with this stuff.

8. Jcarter995 thread starter macrumors newbie

The tutorials on youtube and google searches are not addressing my issue. Is there any know step by step procedure for this? Would anyone consider giving me a litle break down on how to do it?

9. Jcarter995 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have been at it a couple of hours, can someone please chime in on the formatting of the crucial mx100 ssd? I hate to sound like a broken record but im lost and repeated searches are not getting me the solution

10. Puonti macrumors 6502a

11. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I agree about the drive cable. If you have been trying to format your new SSD, and the steps seem correct, and you continue to fail - the drive cable is fragile, so is a good choice to replace now.