Annoying problem with use of external HDDs

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Drag'nGT, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

I don't know if this is hardware or software based but when I am on my computer (the 24" iMac) and I choose 'File' or an App or 'Save' I get the beach ball and I look and my external HDDs are "working" ie. the lights are blinking and I hear them spin up. It actually happens kinda randomly.

I wasn't accessing them! I have a 10-15 second delay in whatever I'm doing while the system checks, spins, or whatevers with the HDDs. WTH?

The drives were plugged in and I formatted them to OS Journaled when I got them. What can I do to get the system to leave them alone when I'm not asking to access them!?!?

Thanks guys! :)

2. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Yes, I have several connected and they all do it. I think it may have something to do with Spotlight and not having Spotlight index the external drives may keep the beach balling in tow. For me, I am just used to it and don't really notice it much any more.

3. Drag'nGT thread starter macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Well I notice and I can't stand it. I guess since no one has an answer for this I'll roll the dice with a call to AppleCare and see what they say. If all else fails I'll turn them off until I need them.

4. mstrze macrumors 68000

I noticed this too. It doesn't bother me much, but the OS does seem to access every available drive when you specify a 'File' command.

Think of it this way:

You are probably requesting to either Save or Open a file when you go to this pulldown. Your iMac needs to know which drives are available for use and needs to spin them up to determine that.

Once option might be to not spin down your drives...i.e. turn off the 'allow to sleep whenever possible' option for the drive. OR, as you said, turn off one or all the drives when not in use. I did this with an external that I only use for archiving video.

5. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

That does help--in that I have a LOT of external drives and only keep the ones I use online--currently two--and it does indeed speed up the process a bit.