annoying problem..

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ilikepielikei, Jan 26, 2011.

1. ilikepielikei, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011

ilikepielikei macrumors newbie

iPhone 3G
    firmware 4.1(8B117)

so my problem is something is wrong with the speaker and microphone.

so far the microphone and speakers work when:
    i use the "Voice Memos" app, having a conversation in calls.

the microphone and speakers don't work when:
    someone calls me (phone doesn't ring), texts me, selecting ringtones, playing music with speakers, alarms, "ocarina" app.

so far i've tried:
    rapidly inserting and removing earphones into earphone port.
    turning mute switch on and off.
    soft reset (holding power and home until iPhone restarts).
    hard reset (restoring using iTunes).
    DFU reset

if anyone can help, it would be much appreciated. :)

2. Lycanthroat macrumors regular

Make sure you read the sticky here first of all (I'm going to assume you have).

If you have, you'll need a new iPhone unfortunately :( I had to get a new one when the 4.1 update fried my WiFi chip (3G). Take it back to your carrier/Apple and see what they say.

3. ilikepielikei thread starter macrumors newbie

really?! aww. would you be kind enough to copy the section of the sticky and show me where it says that? i didn't know updates can do stuff like frying a wifi chip. guess i'd better start saving up for an iPhone 4.

4. Lycanthroat macrumors regular

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=546875

^This might help - I swear there's another one around here somewhere (concerning speakers at least). I hope I don't get that problem.

I'm not sure actually *what* happened to my old 3G, but I updated to 4.1 and BAM no more WiFi. Ever. Took it to my carrier, told 'em what happened and they just shrugged and replaced the phone, brand new. Go fish?

Have you recently replaced the text tones/ringtones or anything?

5. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

Im not understanding... it works on answering incoming calls but doesnt work when someone calls you? If it is working with some but not other software... restore it/DFU restore it

6. ilikepielikei thread starter macrumors newbie

i mean it doesn't ring when someone calls me, it vibrates. i had my friend call me and i picked up so i can test that the microphone and speakers work. it's very confusing. basically in a call it works but it doesn't ring just vibrate so i don't know when someone calls.

7. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

And just what sticky would that be?

That is false / incorrect information, show us the proof that updating to 4.1 causes or has caused wifi "chip" failure, or any other kind of hardware failure for that matter.

8. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

OK, im gonna asume that you don't have the ringer volume turned all the way down...right? Have you tried using a different ringtone? Preferably a stock tone...Are you running some kind of ringtone tweak or hack?

9. ilikepielikei thread starter macrumors newbie

phone is NOT jailbroken and the first thing i did to check was that the volume was on.

10. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I guess that i'm not understanding your problem. In your initial post, you say that the "microphone and speakers" don't work, and in post #6, you say it is your "ringer". walterwhite isn't the only one that is confused.:confused:

11. ilikepielikei thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i'm sorry this is really hard to explain. it seems that the microphone and speaker are only working for the "voice memos" apps and during calls. thats it. not when someone is calling, it doesnt ring. in post #6 what i mean to say is when someone calls my phone only vibrates (even though silent is off) but when i pickup i can talk and hear them perfectly.