Annoying Safari auto refresh

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rogifan, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

On My iPad 2 I'm noticing when I have multiple tabs open in Safari that sometimes when I switch between tabs the page refreshes whether I want it to or not. I'm assuming this is a RAM issue but it is quite annoying. Is there a limit to how many tabs you can have open before it starts doing this? Are there any other browsers out there that solve for this? I've not used Mercury or iCab before. Any good?

2. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Happens on my 4S too, would be great if there was a way to stop this

3. batting1000 macrumors 604

It is a RAM issue. I believe with the iPhone 4 and 4s + the iPad 2, if you have more than 8 tabs open, the ones not saved in the RAM will needed to be refreshed. Also, removing Safari from the multitasking tray and reopening it causes the refresh. It's impossible to stop without closing some tabs.

4. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Annoying indeed. But not as annoying as the bookmark popup you get on the iPhone.

Every. Time. You Open. Safari.

You'll never look at your iPhone the same way again.

5. batting1000 macrumors 604

That's only when there are no tabs open.

6. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Exactly. You go to enter an address and them BAM! The unneccesary bookmark pops up.

That's the one thing I hate that about the iPhone above all else. Safari 2.0

7. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

This never happens to me, I guess I always have a tab open

8. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Nothing bad ever seems to happen to the most dedicated apple fans. Even if it's obvious.

No other web browser in the world has an aggressive pop up screen when you open their web browser.

9. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Every time I open Internet Explorer on a school computer it has a popup that I have to click out of and when I do try to exit it opens a tab anyway.

10. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Neat edit there, but I gave my explanation as to why it doesn't happen to me - seems like it's easily avoidable if it bothers you that much.

11. motoleo, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012

motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

[​IMG]

You can't have an empty page up there forever. Unless you've never turned off your phone, or you never charge your phone or you've never quit Safari. If it was easily avoidable I would not be so concerned. Some people think the iPhone doesn't have any flaws. I don't know why.

12. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Well you said "No other web browser in the world..."

So yeah.

13. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I don't have an empty page, the last page I was browsing is usually there so I just go from there. No one here said that the iPhone has no flaws, in fact this thread is about a 'flaw' and I agreed with the OP.

14. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I'm assuming you close all your tabs when your one using safari? If you want to keep that clean look, just type "about:blank" and save it as a bookmark. Then just open that in a tab before closing safari. Same clean look, but no popup.

Or if you're jailbroken then download the "no bookmarks" tweak from cydia.