Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac_audio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2018
California
I notice these days when I go to Google and do a search, that on the results page when I scroll using my down arrow, it is not the page thats crolls but rather you are hopping from search result listing to search result listing. And the end effect is jerky scrolling!

Is this something that Google did?

Or is this a result of Mozill's changes to Firefox Quantum?

Most importantly, is there a way to return page scrolling back to how it was in the past?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Most importantly, is there a way to return page scrolling back to how it was in the past?"

Have you tried Safari?

mac_audio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2018
California
"Most importantly, is there a way to return page scrolling back to how it was in the past?"

Have you tried Safari?

Yes, I have used Safari in the past. But my question was about Firefox and why something has changed when I do a Google search.

Mikael H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2014
Yes, I have used Safari in the past. But my question was about Firefox and why something has changed when I do a Google search.
I don't use Firefox a lot on the Mac, and I can't seem to replicate what you're seeing, but check if you've got Smooth scrolling enabled in your preferences..

mac_audio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2018
California
I don't use Firefox a lot on the Mac, and I can't seem to replicate what you're seeing, but check if you've got Smooth scrolling enabled in your preferences..

That is the damnedest thing I've seen!

My Firefox has been doing what I described above for maybe the last year and it has annoyed me to no end.

Haven't used my computer all week, and now when I go into Firefox and then Google the search term "test" I get a page with choices, and when I use my up and down arrows the page simply scrolls up and down as has been the case since there were PCs.

I cannot recreate the issue in Firefox, but please someone come to my rescue and prove that I am not a liar!!

There *must* be others out there that have witnessed what I was seeing?

For those that haven't, basically when you would search for something in Google using Firefox, in the search results page, when you used your up and down arrows, instead of the page scrolling, you would get this grey box that would move like a cursor from search result to search result.

This was annoying as hell, because I use the up and down arrows to move the page and not toggle from search result to search results because they are different things.

Maybe a search page yields 20 results, and I want to move results results #3 and #4 to the top of my browser so I can see them more clearly. Up until this issue disappeared, I could not do that.

Has no one else experienced what I described????

I should have taken screenshots of this behavior.

It's great that it appears to be fixed, but now I am annoyed because I don't know why it is fxied and fear it may return again like a wiring problem in your car!

mac_audio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2018
California
Maybe I was mistaken earlier and thought this was an issue with Firefox or Google.

I have noticed what I described above definitely exists on DuckDuckGo...

Maybe it relates to that instead?? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.