Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

comda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Greetings!

I use my macbook 3,1 White (pre unibody) for everything but gaming and watching online TV these days. So i do my school work, word documents, excels, power Points etc. I usually connect it to a second VGA monitor that i have using its Mini DVI out to VGA. But its really annoying the way the second screen is displaying items. I've always had this issue on this machine and i am not sure what is causing it. I know its not the monitor as i've tried more then 4 different monitors that work just fine with no issues on other machines. Currently using a 4:3 ViewSonic 15 inch through a KVM sharing it between my macbook and my IBM think center. ON the IBM its fine on the macbook like with my Asus screen and the crappy Emachines the picture looks slightly smudged to the right side. The lower the Resolution i get on the screen the less it is and vice versa the higher i get in the resolutions the more smudged it gets. Could it be a setting on the monitor or perhaps the display settings? or perhaps the adapter? its always been like this but its frustrating me more now then ever. my Macbook specs are as follows:
Macbook 3,1
Intel Core 2 Duo 7400 @ 2.2ghz
4gb DDr2 RAM
240gb Kingston SSD
Intel x3100 144mb
Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Any help is accepted! Thanks. Look at the photos. Its not the iphone camera thats how smudged the image is.

Attachments

• IMG_0447.JPG
    IMG_0447.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0448.JPG
    IMG_0448.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0449.JPG
    IMG_0449.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 36

jdphoto

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014
Greetings!

I use my macbook 3,1 White (pre unibody) for everything but gaming and watching online TV these days. So i do my school work, word documents, excels, power Points etc. I usually connect it to a second VGA monitor that i have using its Mini DVI out to VGA. But its really annoying the way the second screen is displaying items. I've always had this issue on this machine and i am not sure what is causing it. I know its not the monitor as i've tried more then 4 different monitors that work just fine with no issues on other machines. Currently using a 4:3 ViewSonic 15 inch through a KVM sharing it between my macbook and my IBM think center. ON the IBM its fine on the macbook like with my Asus screen and the crappy Emachines the picture looks slightly smudged to the right side. The lower the Resolution i get on the screen the less it is and vice versa the higher i get in the resolutions the more smudged it gets. Could it be a setting on the monitor or perhaps the display settings? or perhaps the adapter? its always been like this but its frustrating me more now then ever. my Macbook specs are as follows:
Macbook 3,1
Intel Core 2 Duo 7400 @ 2.2ghz
4gb DDr2 RAM
240gb Kingston SSD
Intel x3100 144mb
Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Any help is accepted! Thanks. Look at the photos. Its not the iphone camera thats how smudged the image is.

I would try at the highest resolution possible, and set the refresh rate to 60Hz. Also try plugging straight into the monitor (instead of the kvm) and see if that fixes it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.