Annoying sound on a brand new iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Ahirej, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Ahirej macrumors newbie

Hello! I just bought a new iMac (27' Late 2013, 256 SSD, i7 3,5 GHz, GTX780M) and when I hear this annoying buzz coming from the bottom left corner. Is this normal or should I be afraid?
    I also recorded the sound, so you guys know what I'm talking about: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/94640944/Memo.m4a[1]

I really appreciate the help, because I'm really paranoid :)

2. Vapor matt macrumors regular

I have the exact same machine, and i don't have any noise like that at all. totally silent here.

I would send it back, or call and ask for exchange

3. Icculus macrumors 6502

To me it sounds like a fan, maybe something hitting the fan like a tiny cable or something. I would definitely take it to the genius bar and have them look at it.

4. WilliamG macrumors 604

That to me sounds like a bad fan bearing. I've heard that noise before. Either way, if it's annoying you (as it sounds like it is), send it back.

5. OTx macrumors newbie

Do you happen to have it connected to a UPS (Battery Backup) or straight to the wall?

6. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

As mentioned it's the fan. Either bearing or it's just touching something. I've heard it in one imac I had, sent it back and got another that didn't have that sound.

7. edry.hilario, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014

edry.hilario macrumors 6502a

I think its a normal thing i went through 5 imacs they all had this kind of sound some worse than others. If you look at my profile you can see some really old threads where I mention this... Here is the proof of the sound on my previous imac (https://www.dropbox.com/s/mtju7pdky3p0s64/Memo.m4a?dl=0)The sad thing is that, people here will tell you and swear to get it replace, because they can't hear it on theirs, but at the same time they are not in the same environment as you are.. I could hear it all the imacs i went through and my current one because im in really quiet room (still not too bad though) and if put my ear to it I can sometimes really hear it, so i just gave up and accept it. If you do end up getting a replacement you will see that the new one you get will have the same kind of sound maybe not as bad but if you look for its rest assure is going to be there. The weird thing is that, it kinda is the fan but again it isn't, because the sound doesn't become more audible when the fan speeds up. I dont know what the hell apple put on these imacs to make this types of sound.

8. WilliamG macrumors 604

They don't all do it. I'm especially sensitive to noise, and my room is so quiet it's almost deafeningly quiet at night. That really does sound like a fan bearing. Sometimes you can tap the back of the iMac a little to fix it. I do recall out of the box my 2012 iMac sounded like that, and I did a little shake and tap to the back of the iMac. Never misbehaved since. :)

9. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

That would drive me crazy...I would have taken it back the first minute I heard such a sound.