Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amirook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
Hi there,

I'm having an annoying problem for some month now. When I use the Application Switcher (cmd+tab) I get a weird sound. After I hold the cmd key, the moment i press tab for the first time (only for the first time while holding cmd) i get the same sound that comes when using tab completion on terminal.

I have no Idea why this sound is playing. I'm using newest version of Mountain Lion, but i believe it also happened on Lion.

Thanks for help.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
Hi there,

I'm having an annoying problem for some month now. When I use the Application Switcher (cmd+tab) I get a weird sound. After I hold the cmd key, the moment i press tab for the first time (only for the first time while holding cmd) i get the same sound that comes when using tab completion on terminal.

I have no Idea why this sound is playing. I'm using newest version of Mountain Lion, but i believe it also happened on Lion.

Thanks for help.

Can you upload a video or sound of it please? Can you tell if its coming from the speakers or from somewhere else?

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
By default the Bell sound in terminal and the alert sound for OSX are both set to an effect called "funk". To see if it is the alert sound that is happening on the task switcher, go to settings->sound->"sound effects". The alert sound is probably already set to "funk". Change it so something else, then see if the sound you hear for task switcher changes. If it does, then you know that the alert sound is being sounded for some reason. If not .. well then we'll have to scratch our heads some more.

Also, you might try firing up the system console and seeing if some helpful message shows up there when you hear the sound.

amirook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
Thank you for your quick answers. For a few days the sound didn't appear. Now it's back again :(
When I change the sound for alert in the system prefs, the sound on the application switcher also changes.

I also checked the system log. There are no new logs, when I use the Switcher.

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
I have never even heard of this issue, so these suggestions are just shots in the dark.

- Run the apple hardware test
- Reset PRAM
- Create a new user account on your mac and see if the problem occurs on the new account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.