Annoying sound on MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lemur78, Sep 30, 2007.

1. lemur78 macrumors newbie

Hello all. I am about a month in on my new macbook pro and absolutely love it. I have one question. Every 20 seconds or so, there is an annoying sound. Not quite a clicking, but similar to a sound that occurs when a file has finished downloading. I can't think of a better way of describing it. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Does this occur at all times. Or only when plugged in or when running on the battery?

3. lemur78 thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe it occurs in both battery and plugged in mode.

4. SidBoggle macrumors regular

You're not running Skype are you? That makes a pop noise everytime someone new comes online. This was bugging me for ages until I realised what it was.

5. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

At least you don't hear duck quaking in the background :D (Adium)

6. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

Mine has always done that. A couple times a minute there is an annoying little "dunk" noise that it makes, seems to come from the left side, perhaps by the hard drive. When I sent it in for service a while back I left a note saying it did this but nothing ever changed on it.

7. FunkyMonkey macrumors 6502

I know exactly what you guys are talking about. My iBook will make a soft dunk sound whenever the battery goes down by 1 percent. Anyone know how to turn this off?

8. Kinaiahi macrumors newbie

Just started noticing this on mine too. I think it's coming from the left side/HD area.

9. alphaoenz macrumors newbie

Does it kind of sound like a marble dropping on a table? If so, then thats an issue with the 100GB Seagate drives. When the head parks itself, it hits the side of the hdd casing and taps a couple times. It's an issue with Thinkpads as well.

10. Kinaiahi macrumors newbie

It's more like a soft chirp type sound. That's the best way i can describe it.

11. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

I was experiencing a dunk noise coming over the speakers every once and a while it drove me nuts for a while because nowhere in my settings could I find a sound like it... until I figured it out: Entourage:mac 2008 (I'm not sure if you a similar noise on earlier versions of Entourage).

Here's how you fix it...

In Entourage go to preferences

Then select Notifications

click the speaker icon next to the "No Mail sound" box if its the same sound that is bugging you then deselect the box :eek:

Hope this helps :D

12. jon08 macrumors 65816

Hmm, I've been getting that same sound (it's called Funk if you go to System Preferences -- Sound -- Sound Effects) on my MBP as well, and it's been driving me nuts! (Can you check if that's the one you're talking about?) But not every 20 secs tho. It depends, sometimes I get the sound several times in an hour, sometimes not at all. But I do get it almost on a daily basis. It's the same sound that will pop out when you get disconnected from iChat, except that most of the time it's not related to iChat and it pops out pretty randomly.

I've noticed that at times when playing songs in iTunes, that sound might appear even several times in a row with 1 or 2-sec intervals (and NO, it's NOT a part of the song).

Any ideas what that would be?? Anyone?

13. gehrm macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem now after installing a new HD and restoring from backup. My sound is definitely coming through the speakers, but I have no idea what is causing it.

Has anyone figured this out yet?

14. dog24 macrumors member

Windows Messenger started doing this for no reason, a few hours ago, I am so annoyed now, anyone knows how to fix it?