Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
My Powerbook has been making a static-y sound from the back of it at random times. It sometimes won't do it all day, and then it will randomly start, and won't go away for a while. It's actually doing it right now! I've tried putting it to sleep for a few minutes, but it started back up again when i woke it up. There, it just stopped again! It can last from a few minutes to an hour, completely randomly!

This problem started when I had Apple replace the logic board on the Powerbook a few months back, and numerous repairs later, nothing has changed, so I'm hoping someone here has an easy fix!

Thanks.

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
My guess is either your processor is ready to die or your power supply is about to go. Have it serviced if it is still undr warranty. It is one strange problem but get it checked out. Could just be some bad wiring to the logic board.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Dang it, that's the same thing I'm worried about. It's been through 5 different logic boards, new RAM, new DC in boards, new everything! Apple's gutted and replaced this whole machine numerous times over. I guess I'll have to call them tomorrow again...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.