Annoying Telus advert blocks mouse clicks on forum links

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Trajectory, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

Those of you from Canada are probably seeing a Telus ad at the top of pages here. An animated green lizard crawls off the banner ad and follows your cursor and hovers just under it so that you can't click on anything as a result. I have to keep refreshing the page until a different ad appears, otherwise, I'm unable to use the Forum.

I'm sure Arn doesn't want an ad blocking the ability for people to use the forum. Please get rid of that ad, thanks.

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If possible, please (anybody) post a screenshot and the URL the ad links to. Those help us identify the ad so we can have it removed.

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

YES! I was just coming here to complain about it. Here's your screenshot. In fact, have another one for good measure. Please do something about this, roughly 50% of pages have this ad now. There's a tiny little button in the banner that lets you make the f***ing thing go away, but it's so small that half of the time the lizard gets in the way and I end up clicking through to the site on the banner.

I was visiting the site with Firefox on Windows earlier today and the lizard is still there and as annoying as ever, but at least it doesn't impair clicks.

Please do something, I'm about ready to kill some people. Who the hell thinks these things are a good idea? It's worse than Rogers' seizure-inducing phone ad.

Oh, and after a few obligatory click-measuring redirects, you end up here.

Attached Files:

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Thanks. I hope we can send out an ad-sniffing dog team to root this one out.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I haven't seen the ad at all today. Clearly, your dog is extremely effective.

My attempts to burn Telus in effigy might have something to do with it too, though.

6. Trajectory thread starter macrumors 6502a

The ad appears to be gone, thank goodness. That one would definitely win the Most Annoying Ad Ever award.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The Annoying Telus Banner Ad (Kill the lizard!)

This must be new as of today. The Telus banner ad spawns a green lizard which crawls all over the window, following your mouse pointer. I guess somebody thinks this should be done because it can be done. Is this something we're just going to have to live with, or can ads which invade the pages be blocked from the site?

Attached Files:

8. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I've had that happen on several threads so far, IIRC, ads come from a pool, and certain ads can be blocked out, but I'm really not sure, any mods out there?

9. iEric macrumors 6502a

There is a REALLY small close button on the ad but be prepared for having the lizard chase you!

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

We can usually block specific ads given a screenshot and the URL that the ads link to.

I thought we already fixed this one, but I guess they are up to their same tricks again.

11. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

I was just a victim of this ad!!! I immediately went to site comments to find that somebody beat me to the punch! Absolute worst Internet ad ever. It's one thing to have a pop-up, pop-under, ads that cover the page, or even have music blasting (all of which I don't like), but this ad is really, really bad, and certainly doesn't make me want to subscribe to Telus (not that I'm even in an area that they service, I'm not even in the same COUNTRY that they operate in). Please nix it, it is very virus-like and horrific.

12. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Yeah, I had this happen today visiting this forum.
    I'm in the U.S, and nowhere near the Canadian border, so it was kinda surprising I got the ad.

13. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The new version of the ad should now be gone. Let's hope they don't keep this up.

14. tonywob, Apr 9, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  15. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Ok cool, cheers Q.