Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackjackmark

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Occasionally my Mac will get into a mode while typing where the characters continue to overlay the previous one. It's similar to the typeover feature in Word but there it is wiping out the character following the one that is being added and as you type, the word being typed overlays the word following. Here, the cursor never moves so the character continues to type over itself.

It happens mostly in Safari, but occasionally in other programs as well. If I recall it happens after editing text. I've not been able to recreate it, it just seems to happen at random, but when it happens, boy is it annoying, and hard to get it to stop.

Any suggestions?

blackjackmark

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
This happens sometimes if you press Function+M accidentally. Do it again to undo. :)
THANKS! I'll give that a try! Even if it doesn't solve it by using that as another search phrase I found some other suggestions. Sounds like it can be caused by severel different keyboard combos...weird!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.