Annoying typeover

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by blackjackmark, Nov 22, 2013.

1. blackjackmark macrumors 6502

Occasionally my Mac will get into a mode while typing where the characters continue to overlay the previous one. It's similar to the typeover feature in Word but there it is wiping out the character following the one that is being added and as you type, the word being typed overlays the word following. Here, the cursor never moves so the character continues to type over itself.

It happens mostly in Safari, but occasionally in other programs as well. If I recall it happens after editing text. I've not been able to recreate it, it just seems to happen at random, but when it happens, boy is it annoying, and hard to get it to stop.

Any suggestions?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This happens sometimes if you press Function+M accidentally. Do it again to undo. :)

3. blackjackmark thread starter macrumors 6502

THANKS! I'll give that a try! Even if it doesn't solve it by using that as another search phrase I found some other suggestions. Sounds like it can be caused by severel different keyboard combos...weird!

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Open you System Preferences->Keyboard,. ShortCuts mini tab and find the duplicates.