Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSayBoourns

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 15, 2017
Just an observation, but every year, every September the forums get flooded with my iPhone x/xs (not iPhone 10 but x as in replace with 5, 5s, 6, 6s, 7) screens having yellow, uneven, blotchy and whatever issues.

This seems to have drastically decreased this year and I have barely seen any threads or posts about the 8/8+. Every year it’s always been a very prevalent thread and post topic, except this year. Have the launch unit screens been better this year? People holding their complaints until the X in the beginning of November? No one buying the 8/8+?

Seems erie. A nearly annual tradition missing a year.

iSayBoourns

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 15, 2017
Because the iPhone 8 is the same design as the last three or four iPhones. They've had years to get it right this time.

Because the display quality itself has anything to do with the design of the iPhone? ....right :rolleyes:

Launch week/month buyers dating as far back as I can remember (easily 3G/3GS days) have always created a flood of threads about “display issues” and people returning their iPhone many times, playing the “screen lottery”.

No need to derail the thread topic because you needed to rag on the 6-8 design.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Because the display quality itself has anything to do with the design of the iPhone? ....right :rolleyes:

Launch week/month buyers dating as far back as I can remember (easily 3G/3GS days) have always created a flood of threads about “display issues” and people returning their iPhone many times, playing the “screen lottery”.

Not many many bought the 8 on MR as we have hardcore smartphone enthusiasts on here. It seems Everyone is waiting for the X so obviously there weren't threads like those this year.

Diorama

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2017

I don’t think he was ‘ragging’ on anything.
It IS the same basic physical design as the last few years, they’ve been putting 4.7” and 5.5” IPS panels under 3D Touch systems for a few years, it’s not unreasonable that the kinks have been ironed out of the process.

Let’s see if display issues crop up when they start sending out 5.8”ish notched OLEDs.

Faelan

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
I had to return my first 8+ because of a dead pixel (or a speck of dust, couldn’t tell) and the screen was a bit uneven as well. The display on the 2nd one is very good overall. Just a faint hint of yellowing/shadow at the bottom when the display is cold. This is most noticeable when true tone and night shift is on at low brightness levels. It’s not visible at high brightness levels and very hard to see when true tone is off at low brightness levels. It goes away after a minute or so, then it’s darn near perfect for an LCD display. It can be mitigated by tilting the top of the display a couple of degrees away from me during that period. It basically looks similar to what it looks like when you’re viewing an LCD display at a very slight angle. Most people probably wouldn’t even see what I’m seeing and would classify it as a perfect display. I’m very pleased with this phone and I’m keeping it.

Sanlitun

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
The displays are much much better this time. My 8 Plus is perfect and probably the best LCD display I have ever seen. It's the first launch day phone that I have received and kept in some time. I don't tolerate screen defects and returned several 6S Pluses for the built in screen blemish. I can remember going to the Apple store and seeing bad units on display, but the 8's I have seen are all quite good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.