Anodization wearing off iPhone 6s plastic lines

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Haribo22, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Haribo22 macrumors member

hey guys,

Im not sure if the anodization on my iPhone 6s's antenna plastic lines are wearing off, I took it out of the case for the first time today and the white plastic antenna lines look shiny under certain lights, are they meant to look like this? I have posted a video of how it looks below and I would be grateful if any of you guys could post pictures of how yours look.

--- Post Merged, Feb 27, 2016 ---
    my iPhone is rose gold by the way.

thanks

2. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Yes it is supposed to be shiny under certain lighting and is completely normal. Mine does this as well.

3. Haribo22 thread starter macrumors member

could you post a picture or video of yours just so I know for sure and I can the cancel my genius bar appointment? would really appreciate it, thanks. :)

4. Adam552 macrumors 6502

5. Haribo22 thread starter macrumors member

thank you for your reply :) I appreciate your response, id appreciate if any of your would be kind enough to post a picture of your iPhone so I know for sure before i cancer my genius appointment, thanks again.

6. Adam552, Feb 27, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2016

Adam552 macrumors 6502

I honestly would've taken a picture to show, but the problem is, I would've taken it with my iPhone so I can't :D

Edit: It's also hard to see in the video you linked, I think you would be able to tell if the lines had worn out in normal lighting (if they had). Although, I've never seen some worn out before, unless you're using something apart from water to clean it?

7. Ta0jin macrumors 6502

I don't believe there is anodization on the plastic antenna lines (I could be wrong about this). If you've had your iPhone in a case the whole time maybe you forgot it was shiny in certain lights before you put it in a case. I've seen some antenna lines that are shiny and some that are kind of matte looking I think that's normal. Either way see what Apple says and hopefully it works out for you.

8. Haribo22 thread starter macrumors member

thanks

9. RadioGaGa1984, Feb 27, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2016

RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

Again really? This question was answered back in December for you.

10. Ta0jin macrumors 6502

Despite others spewing their negativity over your question I'm glad I could help.

11. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I did have an issue with my 6S+ where there was white paint streaking out from the antannae bands after a few days of keeping my phone in a case. Formed some kind of spiderweb pattern on the back too.

iPhones are pretty but darn, they sure can scratch easily if you even so much as look at them wrong...

12. Skorpio macrumors 6502

Skorpio

Plastic cannot be anodized.

Anodizing (also spelled anodising, particularly in the UK, India and Australia) is an electrolytic passivation process used to increase the thickness of the natural oxide layer on the surface of metal parts.

The process is called anodizing because the part to be treated forms the anode electrode of an electrical circuit. Anodizing increases resistance to corrosion and wear, and provides better adhesion for paint primers and glues than does bare metal. Anodic films can also be used for a number of cosmetic effects, either with thick porous coatings that can absorb dyes or with thin transparent coatings that add interference effects to reflected light.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

You are going to the Genius Bar because you case made an area look different?

The antenna is not anodized and is just colored plastic.

You need to contact the maker of the case.

14. Haribo22 thread starter macrumors member

I have 2 hours before I got, does anyone have any pictures of there iPhone with the antenna looking like this to save me 3 hour journey?

15. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

16. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

It's plastic! Just leave the case on. Three threads on the color of plastic that's covered with a case.....

17. Haribo22 thread starter macrumors member

I have been to the genius bar and they said this isn't normal so gave me a replacement :) Very good service of apple.

18. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Could you post a video of the replacement in the same lighting conditions so we can make sure it isn't having the same issue?

19. Haribo22 thread starter macrumors member

the antenna lines are exactly the same!! :( I am not happy

20. Ta0jin macrumors 6502

Well on the upside at least this should give you peace of mind to know its a normal thing and not something that was done to your phone by having a case on.

21. Haribo22 thread starter macrumors member

I appreciate your kind replies :) Thanks

22. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

And now you have a refurb that, over time, will look just the same. :p

23. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

What exactly are you not happy about? You're hyper focused on something you've decided is an issue but really is just the factory finish of the plastic insulators. It may be time to look for dust under the screen.

24. Skorpio macrumors 6502

Skorpio

I don't understand why you are not happy. Apple gave you a new (refurb) phone that they inspected thoroughly before releasing it to the public, which in turn means that according to Apple, the shine on the antenna lines are the proper sheen. Due to this, your original question has just been answered by Apple, and you should be happy that your antenna/phone is (and was) perfect.

25. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

I predict we will see this issue again. Play me once shame on you. Play me twice shame on me.

This phone's antenna lines to shiny. This little phones' antenna lines too dull. Third little phone's antenna lines........just right.