Anodized Finish?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by whiteonline, Apr 20, 2015.

1. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

How 'durable' do you think the anodizing of the nMB will be? I imagine most are handling their new machines like fine china (dishes, not powder :rolleyes:).
    Just wondering if the silver will 'age' better, where the SG and Gold will show the natural aluminum underneath if it is not hardwearing.

2. Theophil1971 macrumors 6502

Theophil1971

it's all the same anodizing, just different colors. The 'silver' model is also anodized, just like all aluminum MacBooks have been for years. Thus, they'll all fare just as well as those models always have.

3. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

That's good to know. Thanks. :)

4. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

So does this mean that it's gold all the way through?

If I chip it or scratch it'll show gold?

to OP, my guess it is as good as the MBPr.

5. lo100469 macrumors member

No, of course not, it is made of aluminium, so silver will not scratch more easily but the eventual scratch will be less contrasted...

6. artivideo.nl macrumors 6502

artivideo.nl

If it is anodised the colour is off course not all the way through because it is a self limiting process concerning the depth. But I think that a deep scratch and a chip will be less visible on a lighter colour so it will be less visible on the silver rMB and it will be the most visible on the darker space grey rMB. Gold one is in the middle.
    Once the colour fashion hype will be over, Apple will go back to Silver only for future products. To be honest it is a trade mark of Apple.

7. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

How is silver a trademark of Apple? Before that it was white/black, before that the iMac came in multiple colours?

I am willing to make a friendly bet that the MBP will introduce these same three colour options for the newly redesigned chassis.

Then when they move on to their next design aesthetic, you'll probably say that these three colours are trademark Apple...

8. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Agree, the colour diversity can only appeal to more potential customers. As for the MBP, I would hazard a guess that Skylake will bring a design change; USB C and knowing Apple slightly thinner, I also expect the same choice of multiple colours.

Q-6

9. junkw macrumors regular