Anomolous eBay Bidders

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by offshoresa65s, Oct 4, 2008.

1. offshoresa65s macrumors member

Hi

This is just an observation I've made with eBay recently while searching for things that interest me, other than my usual searching for the odd Apple bargain on eBay.

I like fishing and was looking at this fishing reel:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Vintage-70s-...ryZ23818QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I noticed that the bidder was called n***o (23)

Then I was searching for this particular Calibration device:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-In-Box-L...oryZ3697QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I noticed that the bidder was n***o (112)

Am I missing something here?

It just looks a little bit sus to me that someone can be / have two different tallies in their number of eBay wins.

It's not the first time I've seen this kind of x***x type of identity

Anyway, I'm sorry if this nothing to do with buying Apple products, but maybe someone here can set me straight or is this really sus, like I think it it is?

Cheers

offshore

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

No, it only means that there are two people on eBay whose names start with an "n" and end with an "o". The "*"s in the middle are there for making the names anonymous and do not correspond to the length of the real name.

3. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

It's an eBay measure to help prevent spamming of bidders. You can now only see your user name and the user name of the seller. They give you a unique fake for everybody else so you can tell the bidding patterns of you competitors............

4. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

I felt really stupid the first week the instilled that policy. I was watching a couple of auctions and the winners all had the **** tag in their name. I contacted the seller and told him I think he is being scammed and he sent me a link to the new ebay policy.

I guess it is so someone can not contact the buyer and say they have a better deal on the same item..

5. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

As said, the seller can see there names. It's only there so people can't spam them (i.e. buy this, it's cheaper, etc).

6. offshoresa65s thread starter macrumors member

Many Thanks

I missed this new eBay policy completely.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Cheers

Offshore