Anonymous CD-ROM

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hughvane, Dec 8, 2008.

1. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

I pulled a quite modern optical drive from an old Win PC. I posted its model number on Google and found the manufacturer to be someone named Generic, :), made in China, Hotlink Corporation. There is no brand name on the unit's case, nor is it actually identified as a CD-ROM. Its retail price new is US$4.75!!!

I connected the 'bare' drive to my Mac via IDE-USB adaptor. The unit powered on, the drive bay opened, I inserted a commercial music CD, and ... absolutely nothing. I tried different connection sequences, no joy. I can only assume the unit worked in the Win environment.

Not that it's vitally important, and the unit will finish up at the recycling centre anyway, but can anyone shed light on why it doesn't work? [I have 4 other 'bare' units, Lite-On, Matshita and Pioneer, all pulled from dismantled computers, they all work via the adaptor.]

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

There's often a separate connector and cable needed for the audio out to sound-card signal from the drive.

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Also, since you are talking about IDE can you tell if the drive has jumper settings indicating it is set as "Master"? A "cable select" setting might well not work through the adaptor and a setting of "slave" would almost certainly not work.

4. hughvane thread starter macrumors 6502

hughvane

Thank you to you both.
    Part 1 - yes I think you may be right, in that the sound out was originally via cable to a sound card, but I thought the USB connection would have taken care of that; and
    Part 2 - I shifted the jumper about, it made no difference. I noted first that all the other spare bare optical drives had the jumper set at the RH (looking at it) of the 3 sets of pins.