Anonymous Navigation

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fscarpa, Jan 28, 2009.

1. fscarpa macrumors regular

Is it possible with Safari to navigate anonymously? That is, can I use a public proxy or something like this to navigate and make some web sites "think" that I'm not connecting from where I really am? How do I configure Safari to do this?

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

http://vidalia-project.net/index.php

Tor is a well enough known method or application or whatever that connects to other users of the Tor protocol and bounces your connection off of them and into the web. So it's a huge proxy network that changes every time you use it.

I've used it before and it was alright for the most part. There were some occasions when accessing the web was slow because it was proxy-ing from a slow host, and there were more than a couple occasions in which I would get redirected to a foriegn version of a site because it was connected to some dude in China. For the most part, it's the best and easiest method to anonymously browse on the Mac, and works with FireFox and Safari and at the time I used it, it had a Firefox plugin that could be installed separately to easily enable or disable the Tor service.