Another 10.12.4 bug... Setting Time zone every few minutes

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by ignaciobarrena, Apr 3, 2017.

1. ignaciobarrena macrumors regular

ignaciobarrena

The location services are turning on for setting time zone (?¿?¿) even though I have everything turned off. What is this ******** ? I've been having more issues with this macOS version than any before.

2. Swevain macrumors member

Swevain

3. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Very glad I checked here before updating. Since 10.12.3 was still available I did upgrade to that this morning from 10.12.1

Seems very stable and a bit faster than .1

4. ignaciobarrena thread starter macrumors regular

ignaciobarrena

I've found a solution: go to /Library/Caches and move the com.apple.AutoTimeZone.plist file to the Trash and restart your Mac.

5. Mcmeowmers macrumors 6502

I'm also having this issue on my iPhone as well as my mac. However, it is checking the location less frequently as days go on despite the fact I have the feature disabled on both devices!

6. Swevain macrumors member

Swevain

I tried to delete the AutoTimeZone.plist and it's still setting the time zone every now and then.

7. ignaciobarrena thread starter macrumors regular

ignaciobarrena

it worked for me... well I'm debating between downgrading all the way down to El Capitan.

8. p910115 macrumors member

p910115

I sometimes end up if year 2040 after reboot with my macbook pro late 2016 (sierra 10.12.4)...
    is it the same problem?

9. posguy99 macrumors 6502a

Or just grow a clue and unset the checkbox labeled "Set timezone automatically using current location" in the Date & Time Preference Pane.

I know, I know... much more 'l33t to randomly delete files.

10. Mcmeowmers macrumors 6502

^ Lol right? Why wouldn't we think to use the setting that goes by the name of the exact issue we are having?

I am still getting this issue on my iPhone as well. BOTH have time zone setting to off.

My mbp only does it when I have maps or weather location enabled. Both of which appear as separate services in the location icon.

11. Knisse macrumors member

Having the same issues, but that file is not there.. that is kind of strange.

12. Erulezz macrumors newbie

13. Knisse macrumors member

Good question, i just have the 10.12.4

14. Erulezz macrumors newbie

15. ignaciobarrena thread starter macrumors regular

ignaciobarrena

Can confirm, still happening in 10.12.5, what a joke apple....

16. Knisse macrumors member

I might have a solution - been talking to AppleCare. Apparently there is a double trigger, which overwrites. You need to go to system prefernces -> "Time and Date" and remove the tick at "adjust date and time automatically" <= that setting overwrites and will still prompt for the server to adjust the time and date if you just removed at system preferences ->security and privacy.

I have not tested this yet.

17. ignaciobarrena thread starter macrumors regular

ignaciobarrena

thanks for the answer, let me know how it goes, but I don't think it has anything to do with the location services right ? I have adjust time and date automatically checked, and the autotime zone in " Time and Date " off right now, with all the location services off. After removing the autotimezone.plist file I haven't seen the location services poping out in the menu bar , but they are totally turned off....

18. ignaciobarrena thread starter macrumors regular

ignaciobarrena

19. ignaciobarrena thread starter macrumors regular

ignaciobarrena

Just came back from the Genius Bar, they said it was an OS bug, they told me to wait for the next update lol