Another 15" rMBP to 13" rMBP thread....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Moshe1010, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

I need help deciding.
    I have 15" rMBP base (mid-2012), and I think it's too big for me.
    I can get $1600-1700 for it, and buy 13" rMBP.

The problems are:
    1. My 15" rMBP has twice the power of the 13" rMBP. The good news is that I don't need so much power, but it gets slow here and there, so I'm not sure.
    Usage:
    1. Coding here and there (Xcode)/ Emulators
    2. VM
    3. Light video editing

And all the regular surfing, office, music, etc`.

2. What most concerns me is going form a 15" to 13". Can anybody share his/her experience with such a move? I had 13" MBA and it was fine, but I never had 15" before that. Now I do, and I think I'm spoiled.

3. I think It's pretty big hit in terms of the price. My rMBP was $2200 + taxes + $240 for applecare. Total for about $2600. I know I used this laptop for over a year, but still, i'm losing about 35% or ~$900..

Suggestions?
    Thanks.

2. jmthigpen macrumors regular

Unless you spend a lot of time taking advantage of the quad core proc or playing games you won't notice a difference besides screen size. Moderate gaming/graphic intense apps on the new 13" should be pretty decent, it wasn't bad on the first gen.

I've gone back and forth between and 13 and 15 rMBP where I work, and I prefer the 13 form factor, it's just feels so much more compact.

3. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

You're right in that it will probably come down to form factor. Where do you actually use your laptop? I've found that a 15" is great if you're mainly using it at your desk and around the house, in front of the TV etc., because it gives you appreciably more screen real estate. The 13", on the other hand, is noticeably lighter and is a a lot nicer if you're taking it out of the house frequently.